Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seattle Audition?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by B. Johnson, May 20, 2005.

1. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Any word on who advanced to semi's of the seattle audition? Any word on Jeff Kail?

2. vegetables

vegetables

May 20, 2005
    i heard joseph hearne dominated, cleaned house and just totally embarassed the competition. can anyone confirm?

3. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Joseph Hearne of the Boston Symphony??

4. I don't know Mr. Vegetables; I heard it was but John Salkowski who impressed the entire commitee with his flawless, yet refined and considerate German bow technique-- a rarity among most Boston trained Underhand players.

5. vegetables

vegetables

May 20, 2005
    Salkowski made finals and did indeed impress, but was disqualified after audition monitors discovered traces of marijuana, mescaline and GHB (the date-rape drug) in his urine sample.

6. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Ok, wait, I think both of you guys are confused because I took the audition (didn't advance) and I know that finals aren't until tommorow? So what's the deal?

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

Wow, thats a rough comment. Being a New York trained French player I really have no attachment. You don't think todd seeber is a very good teacher? As far as I know, he's the only german teacher in town, right?

8. Okay here is how it is in seattle
    Four finalists.......The old principal of Indy Aro Pavo Hoinin is in the finals, Andy Anderson (Currently with Chicago lyric Opera) A guy from new world who it believe is from the seattle area and studeid in Boston and my old roommate Joe Everett studied a curtis and has been hanging around btown for two years now and just beeen practicing. Jeff Kail did not take the audition. I will keep you all posted and tell you tomorrow who wins. Big J

9. I'm from Olympia, but I take lessons from Jordan Anderson (the Seattle principal). I also got to sit in the section for a performance of Mozart 40 a few months ago.

Things you all should consider:

I think only two of the nine members are German bow players.

Anyone from Curtis has a HUGE advantage in a Seattle audition. The last dozen or so members of the orchestra they hired have ALL been from Curtis. As it stands now, the last three or four bassists (including my teacher) they've hired are Curtis alumni. I know it's a blind audition, but they do look at resumes.

10. Joe everett does not hold a degree from IU he just does not have a degree at all. Joel Kauffman who has been subbing with Seattle Symphony for the past year and beat joe. Which is think is BS. but whatever that is how auditions go. Congrats to Joel

11. Joe Kaufman is a fine bassist. I've played with him on some recording sessions in Seattle. From what I've witnessed, he deserved the job, although I haven't heard the competition...He first moved to Seattle to join the Pacific Northwest Ballet. He was in the New World Symphony, and studied with Jeff Bradetich of North Texas if I'm not mistaken...

Bryce Van Parys

12. Jordan is my teacher, and I would trust his instincts, at least in this regard, over Gerard Schwarz's any day. Jordan knows exactly what to look for in a bass player, and Schwarz has been known to put a lot of faith in his playing and instincts.

When I first met Jordan, I was set up by a family friend through the principal cellists of the Seattle and Everett Symphonies (husband and wife). Ray Davis, the Seattle principal, is in his mid 60's and about ready to retire. He's probably sat through thousands of auditions. He told me, before Jordan arrived for dinner, that Jordan's audition was the first and only audition he had ever heard in his entire career that he would describe as being "absolutely perfect."

The guy's got an ear. You wouldn't believe how good his lessons are. Seriously, he should be teaching in a school. He only has three or four students, and I'm incredibly lucky to be working with him.

13. Oh, sorry. I knew you read these things. For the record, I was questioning Mr. Johnson's claims, not your win.

Oh, and congratulations. Jordan speaks highly of you.

14. vegetables

vegetables

May 20, 2005
    OH SNAP! you silly sad ladies got called out and SLAPPED by my boy joebass. perchance it'll teach you to GET A LIFE. if not i'll fight either of you in a cage.

15. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I fought the vegetables...

...and the vegetables won...

16. Are you talking to me? I was defending Joe's win, and questioning Brian Johnson's claims and sources. Sorry if I wasn't very articulate.

17. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The great thing about viewing users' Public Profiles is that it can often help one determine when a particular user may be a, dare I say, troll...especially when said user is posting curious and anti-social (although humorous) messages...

What an interesting thread this is for an outsider like me! Makes me glad I'm a jazz musician, a field in which there are no contracted/salaried/benefitted gigs.

18. I still want to know where people hear these kinds of things from. I study with the principal, and he won't tell me anything. Not even after the fact. Not that I really pried, or even cared. I just don't know who from or how people hear these rumors about closed-door discussions.

Maybe there was a fight over it, or maybe it was unanimous. How would anyone not sitting in that room know about it?

19. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

The bottom line is, who really cares? Joe got the job, and good for him. You have to be a fantastic player to even make it to the final round, and, generally speaking, most of the people that make it to the final round are all employable candidates. The rest is just pointless gossip.