Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seattle gigs - with California Guitar Trio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by geshel, Mar 8, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The CGT (www.cgtrio.com) will be playing three shows in the Seattle area here next weekend (March 14,15,16). The first two will be intimiate house concerts at the Seattle Guitar Circle House (www.seattlecircle.com), Friday and Saturday nights at 8 PM (doors at 7:30). Space is limited for those, so if you're interested better make a reservation soon. Opening bands will include some friends of mine.

On Sunday, they will be playing a benefit for KSER radio in Everett, at the Historic Everett Theater. See www.kser.org for more info. Show starts at 1 PM. The first act will be the Seattle Guitar Circle, which is an acoustic guitar ensemble consisting, at this gig, of ten guitarists. Including yours truly. Sorry, no basses! :( :p

The CGT are very excellent, so all shows are heartily recommended. :)

2. darn it man, you scared me!!! i thought you were playing with CGT!!

3. That would be awesome!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Same here.

And it would be awesome.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    oooohhh no. I didn't mean it that way of course :). That would be . . .scary. But opening up for them is going to be pretty cool. (and scary - we'll be playing one of Bert's pieces :( ).

6. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Wow! :eek: I live less than a block away from the Seattle Circle house... I had no idea what it was all about. I assumed a luthier worked out of there.

I was reading their website about the beginner's circle (I am a hack at guitar... better than a beginner, but not a lot) and was curious what they mean by "Guitar Craft". Am I correct in assuming that it is a style of teaching such as Suzuki?

Give me the lowdown... I may be interested in participating. I have participated in community guitar classes in the past...

Cheers,
    Chris

P.S. why they gotta be bassphobic? ;)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hi Chris -

cool! :) I'm not familiar with "Suzuki" guitar. Guitar Craft is, generally, a way of working with the guitar. Specifically, it involves mostly the following:

- a new tuning, CGDAEG
    - steel string guitar, played with a pick
    - a right-hand technique for accurate efficient use of the pick, and similar principles applying to the left hand, arms, shoulders, and really everything else, so you can be relaxed when you play
    - working in the circle, which involves various exercises and techniques to help you work on listening and attention

More about GC can be found at www.guitarcraft.com and here. In the Seattle Guitar Circle we work with the techniques and principles mentioned above. Various things go on in the house - lessons with Curt Golden, both individual and group; rehersals and practices for related groups and people (not all guitar, some vocal for instance); house concerts; and occasional workshops and master classes.

Any interested guitarist is welcomed, whatever experience level. We have periodic introductory classes (just had one last Sunday), where you may have never played an instrument before in your life before you walk in (I got my guitar the day before my first circle three years ago). The group work involves steel-stringed acoustics, in the new tuning and with a pick. Curt is available for lessons on electric, and in the old tuning, as well.

For those interested specifically in Guitar Craft, the SGC is hosting an Introduction to Guitar Craft course in April near Seattle. Details about that are listed on both the GC and SGC pages.

The Intro Circle we just had is the only sort of "drop in" activity, and we don't have another one scheduled right now. But if you're interested in the meantime let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

P.S. not so bassphobic really :) - I've been in circles with basses, violas, and cellos. Heard of a flute once too. In general though, for a guitar circle to work most everybody's got to have the same sort of thing, and that's going to be a guitar of course. I've met quite a few bassists who've taken up the guitar to do this. For me, it's helped my bass playing quite substantially.

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Allright, thanks for the info!

Sounds like a pretty cool situation.

Thanks,
    Chris

9. The Seattle circle is really well established with early Guitar Craft alumni like Golden, Tony Geballe, and Trey Gunn all residing in Seattle.

Alas, the financial services industry in our great country is concentrated in four cities: San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, and (of course) New York. There is a 90% chance that I will spend most of my twenties in one of those four cities.

So this begs the question: are there introductory Guitar Craft classes scheduled reasonably frequently in those areas? I would love to attend a GC Level One week and live in the house with Fripp where he'll tell me how to let my wrist act like a limp dick while I'm chopping celery in 11/8. :D

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, Tony's from Seattle but he lives in New York currently. There are tons of very experienced people around here though, that was half the reason I began - I looked around and thought, "gee, I'll feel really stupid if I don't at least give this a shot" (I really enjoyed the League Of Crafty Guitarists CDs, but hey, I was a bass player :) ).

There are guitar circles in Boston, San Francisco, and New York, among many other places. Oh, and Chicago too I see: check it out. Hopefully, there will be Intro to GC courses alternating coasts about once a year, New Jersey and Seattle being the two so far. Also, the courses in other places around the world (Europe and South America) can be pretty comparable in cost due to differences in economy (cheaper facilities), and reasonable airfare these days. I went to Spain this January, and Italy the year before that, for slightly more each than my first course in NJ.

As for that last sentence, Peter. . .well, I'll just leave that alone I think. . . :)