1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seattle-ites, have a travel question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, May 27, 2012.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So I'm scheduled to fly from Newark NJ to Miami on June 10th.

The business asked if I could be in Seattle the 8th and 9th. The only flight from SEA to Newark lands at 6:30 am on the 10th, and my flight from EWR to MIA is at 10:30 am.

Being that the flight from SEA to MIA isn't possible due to who is paying for each trip, here is my question:

How bad are delays typically flying out of Seattle-Tacoma? Some airports like Newark, JFK and O'Hare are known for their delays? How is Sea-Tac? What are the odds of me being on time for my flight to Miami? I think at 4 hours in between flights, I should be ok as long as the flight isn't delayed more than two hours.

Thoughts?

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Dude, You'll fly over my house!

As for delays, weather related in June is almost unheard of, it may be cloudy but that's not cause for delay, nor are traffic levels at Sea-Tac, it's nowhere near as busy as major midwest or east coast airports........I'd say you re not going to have any kind of problem at all. Too bad, you'll miss the Seattle bass GTG by 6 days

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    !

4. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    Seattle is decent for on time arrivals and departures. It's a busy airport, but not ridiculously so. The weather should not be a factor either. Although the first weeks of June can be a bit damp. High winds, thunderstorms and intemperate seasonal disturbances are very rare here this time of year. You should have no problem making your connection, but the next time you get a chance stay awhile longer.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You'll be fine.

If you have four hours, I suggest you head over to the central terminal (you'll still be behind security) and have a bite to eat at Anthony's, a local seafood/steak house with excellent offerings. Seattle Taproom is right there too, as you head toward terminal A. They always have some fine local beers on tap.

-Mike

6. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    i like seattle...they have good food there.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    I too recommend the central area. I think they call it Marketplace or something. Right in the CENTER of the front of the terminal. I was involved in the construction project. The huge glass 'curtain wall' is concave top to bottom, and convex left to right. It is suspended with ss cables and has no frames between the panes. Just small gaskets. REALLY cool. On a clear day, you can see the Olympics and Mt. Rainier both, plus watch airfield operations in a comfortable environment with lots of food options.

Getting to your question.......I'd be pretty surprised if you had any delay problems. They are fairly rare at Sea-Tac International Airport.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good to know. With delays being uncommon at Sea-Tac, things might work out.

Looks like I might have a layover in Portland... same deal?

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Portland is fine. Just remember that the national average is about 30% of flights delayed, so it's always possible.

I usually give myself about an hour max for a layover, and haven't missed a flight in 8 years. I will eventually, but it's saved a lot of time in summation.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Seattle is only one airport that can influence the on time departure of your flight and even then it's a crap shoot.

• The inbound arrival of the aircraft doing your flight will influence your departure.

• Any delays in an aircraft accessing his assigned gate due to an aircraft delayed, will impact your departure.

• Flow control, maintained by ATC impacts separation for departing and arriving aircraft. While one flight may arrive on sched, departure can be delayed

• Enroute winds for westbound aircraft could delay arrival of your departing aircraft

• Weather, either at SeaTac or elsewhere can change things

• Aircraft goes mechanical. Happens all the time, every day, everywhere

Best thing to do is ensure you have plenty of connecting time to make it work. A bunch of us just flew back from Montreal on the weekend. My KLM flight was on time at 7pm. Some of my colleagues were on an Air France flight at 8pm. It got delayed 1.5 hours due to thunderstorm activity in Montreal and that blew their connecting flights home.

Too many external uncontrolables to claim one airport is better than another. Best build in the buffer where possible.

Just found this tidbit for you:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...319714_apusseattleairporthonorwashington.html