Seattle radio = Blah!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 15, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    First off, I am a sports geek. So I normally listen to my local sports talk station.

On my way home tonight, I was getting angry after a long week, and then sitting in traffic. The guys on my sports station were talking betting lines and spreads, not my thing. I decide to flip it over to FM for some music. Bad idea.

In Seattle, there are three stations that play rock music. Well, two play the hard stuff, and one plays the alternative stuff. The alternative soft stuff like Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. I tune in one of the hard rock stations, and they are playing some garbage I have never heard. I tune in the other, same deal. After about a half hour of switching back and forth, I realize I am hearing the same songs and the same ads for the station, just with different voices. Over the top, in your face DJ's bragging about how much they rock. LAME!!!

I decide to move on to some classic rock. We have a couple here too. The first one I go to is playing Freebird. OK, cool song. They decide to play the 350 minute version! Listening to a band jam is cool when you are at the concert, not on the radio. I move to the other classic rock station, and it's more of the same, just the Allman Brothers. I'm not a pop/hip hop guy, so I avoid that channel. I check out some country, too twangy. I hit up the jazz station, and it is OK.

All in all, it was all lame. So I stop in at Circuit City on the way home for satellite radio. I try it out, and it is lame too. I couldn't find a channel I liked for more than one song. My final decision is to buy an MP3 player, and use the adapter to play it through my car stereo.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Same thing in NY, Mike.

Radio stations here have been regurgitating the same stuff for too long.
  3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Which satellite radio company did you go for? One of my friends has Sirius, and there are only a few good channels I would listen to, but even then, I've got enough money invested in CD's.

Listening to regular radio around here is just impossible. It is horrid.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Seattle radio has gone way downhill in the past five years.
  5. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    One word: KEXP
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    You think Seattle is bad try Portland.... :spit:
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I moved from Bellingham to the Bay Area in 2002...

I preferred listening to the Vancouver stations, over the US stations, except KUGS (WWU's station) played crazy stuff..

The Bay Area isn't much better.. I usually listen to the classic rock station. They recently expanded their play list to include all rock, so it's not unheard of to hear Van Halen, then Ozzie, Nirvana, followed by like Disturbed or something.

They used to have a sweet underground Hip Hop station, but that got bought by some conglomerate SOLEY so they could close it down.. they turned it into a dane, NRG station... sadness....
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Radio isn't worth listening to unless it's Coast to Coast or Phil Hendrie. Bah.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Two words: No thanks. :D

I guy at work plays that station, and I just do not care for it one bit. The DJ's are a bit better than the others, but the music is not my thing.

Regarding the satellite radio.....I tried them both at Circuit City. The guy helping me knows me from some other purchases I have made, so he let me put them in my car and drive around for a little bit. I tried them both out, and the stations were just not that great. They say no commercials, but I was sure getting blasted with plenty of reminders that I was listening to their service.

In regards to the Portland radio scene, what happened to KUFO? A few years ago, that was an awesome station. I remember pork chop and the dog faced boy. I called him once yeras ago to play a game called Bass Ackwards, and I won some tickets to a Blazer game.

10. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    They're still around, but I can't say I'm into what they play these days. Disturbed, Chevelle, Atreyu, and other forms of nu-metal.
  11. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey MJ5150,
    Sorry you don't like KEXP. I find it very different from most stations. It's kind of eclectic and refreshing to me, but I don't have to hear it at work.
  12. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I either listen to Sports Talk radio or CD's. The FM Music Stations around here are the pits. ;)
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It is no better out here.

Clearchannel owns the 4 biggest in this market. :spit:
    One that plays Maimd, 3 Bores Down, Puddle of Crud, Audiosludge and Nicklecrack in continous rotation, one that plays oldies, one 'Mix' and one Talk.

The only thing worth listening to are the 2 college stations, WRIU and WBRU, and even then the Brown Univ station has sold out and sounds more like an audiosludge station, as
    it is a separate corp. RIU is the only one that has anything
    interesting. So it is that or NPR at this point.

Lately, CD swaps have made my car ride happy.

My peeve with TV is the same. Bigger screens, better definition, crappier content. I went back to an antenna,
    rather than 300 channels of paid Crapola, now only 8 channels of free Crapola.
  14. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone who wants to try a slightly different take on radio, with web access, can try You may like it, then again you may not. Definately not classic rock, but they will play some classic music, rock and otherwise. Listener sponsored radio.
  15. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I do listen to KEXP sometimes, they've had some cool blues and stuff on when I was listening. It's very eclectic. Very "Seattle" if you know what I mean. Not in a bad way, it's a pretty good station.