Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seattle/Tacoma area bassists! Gig available!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've been temporarily playing for the singer/songwriter Justin Black for the past few months, and my last gig with him is coming up. I figured I'd put a 'wanted ad' here for you Seattle/Tacoma area guys that may be interested.

The music has alot of roots-rock inspiration. You can definitely hear the (lighter) Zepplin, Black Crowes feel in it. To me it's alot like Chris Cornell's solo stuff. 4-string, simple rooted, some melody bass lines...it definitely seems to call for the P-Bass tone. Here's a copy of his ad:

Local Artist Justin Black with Label Interest seeking Professional BASS PLAYER and B3/PIANO/KEYBOARD PLAYER, ages 21 to 30. Influences: Led Zeppelin, Coldplay, Jeff Buckley, U2, Queen , Peal Jam, etc. See More Hear More at www.justinblack.net Contact (206)931-9671
    Send an e-mail: Justin@realtone.net
    Visit this website: http://www.justinblack.net

My last show with him is going to be at The Central in Pioneer Square this coming thursday Oct 16th. So if you would like to see what his live sound is like, I'd recommend coming.

He and I are managed by the same guy (good steady gigs), so I'll still be around to help out if needed, or you can always contact me if needed.

-Mike

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Should be in Misc. Off it goes...

Have a nice day :)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would be interested, but that's a pretty large commute, plus i'll be back on the submarine pretty soon. i guess the navy makes me a pretty unreliable bassist. oh well...bump for ya. dragon, where ya at? :D

4. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thanks for moving it.

Oh and bump!

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Very interesting...

I saw his ad in the Stranger and have been emailing him the past day or so. My current band is about to blow up and the songs I heard on his site were nice.

So, how is the gig? What kind of commitment does it require? Where is rehearsal? How's the drummer? Heck, how's the rest of the band?

A very interested Seattle bassist wants to know...

:D

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, there's dragon :D bump

7. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The gig is pretty cool. There are no attitudes in this band, and practices are twice a week. Justin writes all the music and records all the instruments himself on the CD (so far), but when you get the songs there is a little creativity needed to finish them for live playing. The live show is a little more rockin' than the recordings since there is induviduals playing the parts.

Practices have mostly been in Tacoma at (the Band)Point Defiance's practice room, but occasionaly Justin rents Garage studios in Seattle. He's still looking for a permanent place right now.

The best thing to do is to come see the show so you can see what the live sound is like, and see what he's looking for (or what you're looking for).
    I have my own band and have been standing in here temporarily for my friend Justin. I'm just too busy with my band to keep two gigs going. And the gigs are there...our manager (same guy) keeps his bands working.

-Mike
    Negative Seven bassist

8. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hmm, sounds interesting, but, the magic word is Tacoma. A bit far for me. I'm in Bellevue and rehearse in West Seattle. Well, I'm planning on checking it out tonight.

Gwon

9. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Justin lives in North Bend (guit in fed-way and drum in queen anne). That's why he's looking for a place in south Sea.

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I know of an expensive place in S. Seattle and our current place in W. Seattle is cheaper and may even have an opening.

11. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It was nice to meet you lildrgn.

12. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, man, same here. I wish I could've stayed the whole set but got sleeeeepy...

Not sure if JB is my thing, though. I like his music but I think he needs to flesh things out a bit more... my .02. :D

13. i would offer but i cant remember if today is the 16 or 17 plus im not 21