Seattle: Tell me everything you know please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jul 10, 2004.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello all,

I have decided that I may be moving to Seattle in the fall of '05. The reasons are lengthy enough, so I'll just leave it at that. I was wondering if all of you wonderful Seattlites could tell me everything you know, good and bad, about the fair city. I've visited 3 times, as a good friend is from there, and a co-worker grew up in Seattle, so has given me much information. But, I still want many opinions and much more information. So, what do all you from Seattle have to say about the town?
  2. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    It was where Starbucks started.

And I'm done.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I understand that, for a while at least, Seattle had the highest per-capita suicide rate in the country.

It also has lots of crappy weather.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i love the weather over here...i'm kinda dreading moving back to georgia with the heat and humidity
  5. It's in the same state as the college I want to go to.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That depends upon your definition of crappy weather.
  7. My definition of crappy weathger is when crap rains from the sky.
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    That's only in winter. I LOVE the weather up here after 8 years of AZ; rain is nice.
  9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I moved up Here 6 years ago from the BA [east bay that is] and I haven't missed it one bit. I dig the place, [although I wouldn't mind living closer to Olympia; friends, family and one of the bands I play with are around there], City wise Seattle has the same crap as any other big city [politics and parking]. IMO Seattle is like if you cross SF, Berkeley and a small town you’ve got it.

Fist and foremost Check out Hammond Ashley Violins and Bass Northwest
    for all your DB & BG needs.

Good luck with the move, It's a nice place up here.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hear the city goes haywire when the roads get slippery.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You'll really dig the Pike Street Market, and there's enough art and music in Seattle to choke several horses. Bass Northwest, as well. Downtown Seattle is a hoot to walk around, and it's got some pretty neat suburbs.

I would say housing is pretty steep, but you're living in San Fran, so I think they'd probably come out about the same, all said and done.

You'll like it, I imagine. It's got a really great vibe for a major city. Probably the best vibe of all the major cities I've been in. I know that's not quantifiable, but as a musician, I think we're used to that.
  12. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

I live about a 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle and I can verify this being true.
  13. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

San Francisco or Seattle, the weather is pretty much the same.
  14. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Seattle's great. You're lucky you live in SF because a lot of Seattle's downfalls you will already be used to, ie: rainy/cloudy and colder weather, earthquakes, higher housing prices. Nothing is like the Bay Area for expensive living though, so even that will decrease if you move up North.
  15. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    It all really depends what you are looking for as well. This is ,of course, a subjective question.Are there things that you would call "deal breakers" and other things that you would really like to see? Seattle is a large and diverse city, similar to San Fransisco in its politics, friendly to the arts, more coffee shops than anywhere else in the world. The weather might be a bit rainy but that is the price we pay for the priviledge of living in the "Evergreen State". Also lots of great restaurants and relatively close proximity to the mountains and the ocean if you are into outdoor activities.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

what am i going todo? i cant freaken drive that far damn it! 40minz drive is good enought for me, thank you!

*sniff* so self-fish of you *sniff*

EDIT: ps i do like seattle... kinda cool city only downside i see compare to SF, well in SF if you are sick of rain you can drive 20minutes and get to marin, san jose, or desert... that way u can have good of both... rain/clouds and nice warm weather all in 20 minute drive:]]]

BUT HAY, atleast its not east bay... oh god how much i hate east bay :D

17. okay, this has nothing to do with jazzbo leaving us :bawl: :bawl: , but my eyes hurt. :bawl: :bawl:
  18. Wait, I live in Texas, I'm not going to be anywhere near where jazzbo is or was. :eyebrow:
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    btw you will have your winter and summer changed:]

YES its amazing unlike SF it acctually rains in winter and is sunny in summer! holy normal batman!

Whats with SF and being super cold in summer and fairly warm in winter... :p

"there is no better summer then winter in San Fransisco" or something like that

20. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Seattle is... eh... I'd never want to live there; it's just too depressing. Other than the whole weather factor, there's nothing wrong with it. I have a very good friend from Seattle who also happens to be a bassist. If you're ever looking for someone to jam with, or want to know where the raves and drug dealers are, he'd be the one to ask.