Seattle vs.Portland vs. San Francisco

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    So the lady and I have a agreement that we will move to a days drive from her parents (Yakima WA) so those are the three real choices. So lets hear those opinions.

2. nickobass

May 25, 2002
    portland, or
    I've lived in all three and Portland is by far the best. The people that make cracks about the weather only want to make people stay away and not move here.

Good music scene, arts, colleges, clubs and it still has a small town feel to it.

good luck....
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

How many songs have been written about Portland or Seattle?
  4. Monkabutt

Monkabutt Guest

Apr 15, 2002
    My house
    Love Seattle but don't think I could deal with the traffic. Ditto for San Fran. Both are very expensive places to live. I have been in Portland for the past 6 years and love it! It is a very liveable place with a fairly good music scene. Only really bad thing is the local music stores suck as far as bass gear goes. Saving factor is BassNW is only 2 3/4 hours drive.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Does Portland have way more Good players than places to play? Would you have half a chance of working a GB band there? Is there any theater work at all?

How cheaper is it to live on the east side of the bay?Berkley?

Is seattle as expensive as boston to live there?
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Been to Portland and Seattle (spend a lot of time in both, actually) and Portland is by far the hipper town. It's music scene is just as good as any city, with openings from funk to bluegrass to death metal. Nice place. It's got a killer vibe, if vibe is a quantifiable commodity. I'd live there in a second.
  7. Though I live in the Seattle area, and I have to move, I would choose Portland. Cause there's NO TAX on stuff!!!

I don't know if I personally could leave this place though. It's been too good to me.
  8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I was in portland last year on a sunday night,I went to the Crystal ball room and saw a swing Band ,they kicked, who were they?

9. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    i've been to all three and i liked portland the best, no tax :).
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd suggest Seattle or the bay area, Portland is like another Tacoma, just further south and it doesn't smell as bad. :D San Francisco is a pretty long day drive to Yakima; you're looking at 8-9 hours while fracturing a few speed limits. Seattle to Yakima is 2 1/2 - 3 hours... depending again on how much you fracture the speed limit.

Cost of living, Portland is the cheapest and they have no sales tax... however they do have state tax, something that Washington does not have. San Francisco will be the most expensive place to live and Seattle won't be that far behind.

Just to give you an idea: I just bought myself a house in a city not far from Seattle (across Lake Washington, I'm 20-25 minutes from downtown with no traffic). It's 2400 sqft on just over a 1/4 acre lot, built in 1974, and I paid $240,000 for it.
  11. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The majority of my family lives in the NW,, consequently I just got back from a 2+ week trip covering CA, NV, Utah, Montana, bottom of B.C., Idaho, WA and OR.

I would pick Portland area. St. Helens is a small town 30 minutes nw of Portland that is starting to grow (great Asian restaraunt too! Quey's!!) but still has a good vibe. Battle Ground and some of the smaller towns north/nw of Portland (but in WA) are verrry nice,, I would love to live there. Portland itself is getting rather expensive and in some places cramped,, my aunt and uncle were FORCED by a "new" city law to subdivide their 2 acre lot. Also,, traffic is getting LA worthy at times.

But,, I think I would still choose Portland. Beautiful area, plenty of jobs and amenities.
  12. Some pros & cons:

SF: earthquakes, high cost of living, high density, great restaurants, mucho options for everything if you factor in Napa Valley and Santa Cruz being within an hour's drive. Since I'm California born & bred, I opt for NoCal, home of the tofu eatin', save-the-whale preachin', VW minubus drivin', battery chuckin', water hoarding Giants fans. (You just couldn't tell that I grew up in SoCal now, could you?) Biggest plus of the 3 cities: closest to an NHL arena (San Jose) and 2 decent NFL teams are in the Bay Area.

Seattle: Expensive and a bit crowded in places, less ice rinks than Phoenix facrissakes. Seattle may even be past its moment with the dot-com collapse and the decline of grunge. Plusses include a fabulous baseball stadium with a decent team, ditto for college football (I was there 9/8/01-the last weekend of life as we knew it; my Wolverines lost)
    Canada is not too far away, and Seattle is a major port of entry for all sortsa goodies.

Portland: What's this $#@% about not being able to pump your own gas in Oregon? I do like the small-town vibe, the transit system and the multitude of trees (I've been in the desert too loong, I guess.) The best solution is to live in Vancouver,WA and commute across the Columbia River to PDX. The biggest negative: my ex-wife lives there.

A big negative on all 3 cities if that's your thing: all of their NBA teams are the Lakers' beee-yotch.
  13. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    Hey, be fair, the Warriors are eveybody's beee-yotchs! What'd that loud guy on TV say, when Wang was MIA and rumored to be in Cal someplace? Something like "what do you do if you're 7' tall and want to dissapear? Go to the Golden State Warriors.". Paging Adonal Foyle, mr Foyle please....
    On a semi-on-topic note, here north of SF it's still extremely expensive to live. Anyplace in northern Cal that's anyplace near a population center (no Redding, you don't count, sorry) will be expensive, period.

dude's roadie
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thanks guys keep them comming:)

Just for reference Ive lived in boston my whole life this is a very expensive place to live (my guess is less than SF more than seattle).

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey Jazzbo

How come you didnt mention that frisco is the only city I could go a to a club and see zigaboo play!

thats a Big plus for the bay area;)

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Portland seems to be pulling out a good lead in the census

17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Should I even mention my autographed copy of "Fire on the Bayou?" I've talked with him twice after gigs, and seen him play about a good dozen times or more. I worked at a pub (for about a week), that he played in. Very nice.

Now, let's think about it. San Francisco is an amazing city. Some of the best jazz clubs around. But not only that, you can hear any and every type of music on a given night. Any night! Rent is dropping, you've still got a good job market, the restaurants are second to none, the geography is amazing, the beaches are great, the park is wonderful, the symphony is world reknowned, the arts are abundant.

Think of all the day trips you can make! Monterey/Carmel, Wine Country, Berkeley, Fort Bragg, Point Reyes, Ukiah, Santa Cruz, etc etc etc.

Then, the trips that are an easy drive! Reno, Lake Tahoe, Ashland, Los Angeles, San Diego, TJ!

But, above all else, there's an energy here that you won't find in other cities.

Sometimes I'll be sittin' in the morning sun, I'll be sittin' when the evening comes. I'll watch the ships roll in, then I'll watch 'em roll away again. You should leave your home in Boston, head out for the Frisco Bay. Beantown's got nothin' to live for, looks like nothings gonna come your way, so, you should be sittin' on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away.

(melodic whistling)

In my mind, there's no other choice, at least on the west coast. Now, if you asked me, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, or New Orleans... then that's tough to decide.
  18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

The only time Ive ever been to san fransisco was a couple of yearsago when I centered a a too brief vacation around the meters reunion gig at the warfield! Great vacation.

Rents Dropping?

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I will say this about the current market: I haven't seen as many homes for sale and for rent as in the recent months. With the current economy and the dot com bust, this is going to be a buyer's market for a while, I can tell.
  20. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I have to step up and Represent!!! SPOKANE WA

I would go with Portland, then Seattle.