Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Apr 11, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Hi all-

I am considering purchasing a second 5 string. My main bass is a Fender RBV. I am looking for a bass that will be a backup to my main bass in a pinch.

I figure I could go two ways:

1) just get a simple inexpensive backup. I am considering an MTD Kingston, a MIM Jazz 5, or something along those lines.

2) Look for a really nice 5 that would be a really nice compliment to the RBV. I am considering a fretless semi-acoustic bass.

I would like to leave the RBV in the studio instead of dragging it back and forth for rehearsals. So the new 5 will likely stay home mostly. I would probably only take it on gigs if I really felt it was more suitable than the RBV. At home I would likely use it a lot for learning new songs, practice and some soloing/experimentation.

I am concerned that if I buy a cheaper bass I won't be happy and will eventually sell it. So I am leaning at this point towards choice two. I will be willing to spend up to $1500.00 but would like to spend a lot less if I can since it is not my main axe. It seems that a used Turner Renaissance may be the ticket. Any comments or suggestions?

2. go for the MTD kingston, but good luck finding one in RI, fellow RIer here,and if you can find one at Daddy's Junkie Service... i mean Music.. send me an email ASAP!

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    check out the Lakland Skylines- you can klik the link below to see them- i will have mp3 of them up soon- peace, Adrian

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Adrian,
    Wouldn't the Lakland be a bit more expensive than the MTD - especially for a backup?

Mike

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Not that expensive... his $1500 limit stands and he can get a 55-02 with the american barts and all :)

I'd be happy with that as a backup.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would spend over $1000 for a great bass that was in a very different space than the Fender. I wouldn't want to spend that much money on another standard electric bass guitar.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    what would constitue different? yes, the Kingstons are well below- you canget about 3 of them for your spending limit!!- the 55-01 is very aggressive- ask Brad Johnson what he thinks!!- and i dont find them very Fendery- i find the 55-02 more fendery- but thats just my humble opinion-:)

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I used to own an S55. I sold it. I found that I generally don't like Bart electronics.

By different I mean not a standard solidbody electric bass guitar. I have one I really love. If I going to spend some dough, it would have to be something different than this.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  10. There is a very nice (IMO) Kinal 5 string at bunny bass that was selling for, I believe, around $1500. That would be an outstanding bass to compliment yours (IMO).

Geoff