Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krazy_olie, Oct 19, 2004.

1. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I have a peavey microbass, it ain't great but it works, problem is, it can't really play with a drum kit and i sort of need to be able to do that. Possibly use in small venues nothing large, features are more of a bonus than anything else, looking for good allround high quality sound, which can play against a drum kit and 1 or 2 guitars without much distorting. I'm looking in the £175 - £250 range, should i be looking at a combo or a head ==> Cab combination. I don't really know much about amps at all, so really just some advice about what i should be getting.
    Did a search the ,Ashdown Electric Blue series looks good, how much difference would there be between a 12" and a 15" speaker though for the same power?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'll have to play them side by side to se how you like them, but technically the 15 should move more air.
    I would advise getting something in the 200 - 400 watt range (definitely at least 150 watts), (@ 4 ohms) and hopefully if getting a combo get something that has an internal 8 ohm speaker with the capability to drive another 8 ohm cabinet so you can expand in the future.