1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Second bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dakke, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dakke

Dakke

Mar 27, 2013
    Hello everybody,

I'm about to buy a new bass amp. I started with a very cheap behringer but now i want to buy a good one. I really like the ampeg sound. But more then 2000 euros is a bit to much for a student. So i was thinking for a hybrid amp. This is the sound i really like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHjbqMBHq8 . Nick oliveri uses a p bass and ampeg svt's is there any hybrid bass amp that's comes close to this sound. Like maybe the gallien krueger mb fusion (tube preamp) or the ampeg svt 7. In belgium are no music shops where i can test the gallien krueger.

Thanks in advance.

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    The GK will sound nothing like an SVT... the SVT-7 will be closer, and have that ampeg vibe, but the only thing that sounds like an SVT is an SVT. People around here recommend using a Sans-amp to get closer to the SVT tone though, so you may want to look into a decent solid-state head and a sans amp. My experience is that most hybrids don't bring you that close to a real tube sound anyway.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    7 Pro is a very good replica, so is the 4 Pro. Different vibes, with the 4 Pro being tighter whereas the 7 Pro sounds more like a tube amp being turned up just to the verge of breakup without quite breaking up. But when you finally hear them side by side with an all-tube SVT, you understand why they still sell tons of tube SVT's.

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I gigged with a Gk1001RB and a Sansamp for years. I could not get it to sound like an Ampeg. I now use an Ampeg PF500. It definitely sounds like an Ampeg.