1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Second Bass recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sagaris, May 14, 2006.

1. I've been playing for just over one and a half years now and I really would like a new Bass; basically anything other than the cheapy, beginner one I have now!

So can I get any recommendations for a 4 String, Passive Bass in the £200-£250 region (I'm just a poor teenager really) with, preferably, double Jazz Pickups.

I left my criteria pretty wide open because I'd like to get a fairly wide range of recommendations before I even think of purchasing a new one.

2. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Second hand market...? There are plenty of jazz-style basses there...

3. naquadaX

naquadaX

Mar 5, 2006
    You said double Jazz pickups but why not giving a try to the Yamaha BB414 (passive P/J) ?
    Good quality and reasonable price IMHO. The body shape forced me to change a little bit my playing habits but it was worth it, I really like its sound.

4. I picked my second bass off ebay, an ibanez sr505... that thing is great. It has all the controls anyone would ever want. They built this one very solid, has great strings and amazing electronics. It also comes in a 6 string version, but that would have been too much of a change for me.

I am building my third at the moment, that is a good option if you have the tools at hand and want a top end guitar at a low price.

5. A Ibanez made in Japan SR model, used or new, or new fender (you'll have to play them to see what you like).

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez SR800 if you can find one.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    first thing that sprung to my mind was a fender mexican standard jazz.

I've always found that when your dealing with the used market it's not really a matter of deciding what you want and going out and buying it but seeing whats available and deciding whether you want it or not. Maybe Im saying that because the used market here is crap. unelss you like berhinger, hartke, encore and other assorted crap

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    get a MIM jazz of ebay, they are great

9. I don't really see how one can concider hartke crap, have you ever tried the hs1200?

10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    low grade hartke basses exist and indeed, they are crap.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland

Each to their own

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    fender jazz bass, MIM or maybe a MIA highway 1 is you're lucky

13. Euro Dean series stuff, great quality.

14. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    Another vote for the Yammy 414. Neck may be a bit different but damn if it doesn't sound good for the price!

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    See if you can find an MIM Jazz bass second hand. I'll admit, some are lemons but at the price they go for second hand, you can't complain.