Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pesticle, Mar 9, 2002.

1. i was wondering... what is a good second bass for me? i am finally getting serious about bass and i would like to get a new bass, that isnt just for learning. i just upgraded my amp so i can play without being drowned out by the drummer, guitarist and all.(with a workingmans 15.. love it) and i guess i want to upgrade my bass but i don't have alot of money to spend... i have a little over 400 to spend but i would e very happy with something in the 200-300's range. i play punk, metal for the band so i need something good for that at least, and then i learn whatever tune i take a liking to i hear on the radio and such just for myself...which is a variety of styles so something thats versatile would be nice but it has to be at least good for punk, metal. but there is also the option to just keep the squier if there isnt anything worth getting at my price range. heh also ive been reading about yamaha's rbx series, not played or heard any of it but just reading and im interested in those a little.. they any good? eh im just rambling now so ill end it right there.. any help would be very appreciated

2. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    look @ peavey fury's

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You're right about Yammer's RBX series. They're good quality AND low $$$.
    Hell, the "new" RBX170 (like a `270 with an Agathis bod) LISTS for $249 :eek:.

Lightweight, with a shallow, fast neck. And they lend themselves readily to
    futzin' :rolleyes:...replacing pickups, bridges, etc.

I've got a natural 260F and recently snagged a used, black BBN4F (with
    J pups :D ).

I got my "P" and "J" :p

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Little over 400? Spring for 422, and get a MTD Kingston 5er...or less for a 4, but those are killer basses in that range (and heck, outta that range)

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My second bass was a Dean Edge Q4, which happens to be for sale, with gig bag, for the low low price of $350. I though this bass was very versatile, it had a great slap tone with the bridge pup soloed and a good P tone with the neck pup soloed. I was able to dial in a lot of sounds with the EMG pickups and electronics. I played this bass mainly in a punk/alternative cover band and I was able to get any sound I needed.

Dirk

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin B4 or B5, Fender MIM Jazz.

7. thanks alot guys it is very appreciated :)