Second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass87, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Hi
    I've been playing for around a year and am looking to buy my second bass. I am thinking of either the warwick rockbass corvette standard or the fender deluxe jazz bass. Could you guys/girls give me some opinions on which one? I play in a jazz big band so play a lot of walking lines. I also play in a rock/funk type group with some friends, and so play quite a bit of slap. Thanx in advance.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My preference is the Jazz. I like the neck on it better and also prefer the tone. It is also a very versatile bass tone-wise. If I were you, I would go to the local music store and play both and decide which one plays and feels right to you.
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'd go with the Fender Deluxe Jazz. The tone would probably be more suitable/usable in different situations, and the active EQ would be great for dialing in a slap sound you like, as well as a deeper walking bass tone. The Deluxe Jazz is the only Fender I've played that I've actually liked, besides the American P-Bass Deluxe with the humbucker at the bridge
  4. thanx. i have played both of them and they are both very nice but im probably leaning towards the fender now. thanx again
  5. I could be very wrong, but aren't those two basses in quite different price ranges?
  6. no, I don't think so. Not if the fender is MIA then they are similar in price.

But, of course, I could also be very wrong. :)
  7. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    No. The Warwick Rock basses are their bottom-of-the-line beginner basses. They're good sounding basses.

Personally, I'd go for one of these (or, even better, a Spector) over the Fender. Then again, I'd go for almost anything over a Fender.