Second Build: F-Squared 5

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chuck Chill-Out, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone. Starting to work on my second build. Fanned fret 5-string, hence F-Squared 5.
    It will be a neck-through (I haven't the guts to attempt a bolt on neck...yet) of maple, cherry and walnut, all woods from my father-in-law who was a wood hoarder, with Hemlock wings. The Hemlock is from an old barn here in Lancaster, PA. No pics, yet, but wanted to get this on here before I forget.

Videojunkie and ELynx like this.
  2. SlingBlader

SlingBlader

Oct 19, 2013
    Looking forward to this. Good luck!

3. Antique Hemlock Beams.png
    Picking up these two 180 year old hemlock beams this Saturday for $30.
    I also picked up a piece of old Chestnut this past week. Thinking of using it as a top.
    I'll post more pics, really. I haven't had much shop time with a sick wife and daughter, but I am planning on making time this weekend.

ELynx, Dark Horse and Matt Liebenau like this.
  4. Holy cow, I didn't realize how big those beams were. O had a lot of looks from people as I drove by with them strapped to the top of my wife's Forester. I started to pull the many staples out of these, and my head is spinning with ideas for this wood.
    Oh, I also began to clean up the chestnut. I will post pics tomorrow (hopefully), but I never saw a piece of wood that looks like chocolate.

Quick question, is Hemlock bendable? The reason I am asking is that my ADHD kicked in while pulling said staples and thought, "Huh. I have that Yamaha acoustic neck lying around...maybe I can make an acoustic out of this..."

ELynx and Dark Horse like this.
  5. Okay, finally had some time to work in the shop.
    Working on a multiple guitar stand.
    20180605_191442.jpg
    And also planed a spot on the hemlock.
    Oh. My. Word. What a difference.
    20180605_191824.jpg
    The bottom plank is NOT warped...stupid phone.
    Oh, in college, I had to make a plane in shop. At least I get use out of it.
    20180605_191842.jpg

Beej, mbelue, ELynx and 3 others like this.
  6. Cut a section of the hemlock to size and laid out the wings of the bass. I used the Black and Decker radial arm saw that was built into the bench. The former homeowner left it. Bit o' trivia, it was made here in Lancaster in the 1950's. It cuts pretty well. 20180613_203708.jpg The box under the bench is three layers of cassette tapes from my youth. Been listening to them while working.

Okay, a question for all of the wood experts. I noticed cracks in the surface of the wood, but they do not penetrate deep. Is this a concern? I am planning on thinning the wood down from 3" to 1.75".
    20180613_203708.jpg 20180613_203715.jpg

TerribleTim68, mbelue and ELynx like this.
  7. I'm far from an expert, but I wouldn't worry about those cracks if you're removing the wood to get below them.

I would be worried about unseen nails in the wood, when I bring wood to the local place for milling they run a handheld metal detector over it to verify there are no nails in it. I guess if you sand off the patina before you cut you should be able to see them?

ELynx likes this.
  8. My neighbor ran his metal detector over both and we found a few staples. You can see where some were at the cut.

I will be planing this down to a final thickness of 1.75", so I think I will be below the checking. I am interested to see where the nail and staple marks show up on the cleaned up pieces.

Thanks for the info!

Oh, and you can see the other project I am working on to the right. My wife's old bookcase. My daughter wants to repaint it, so I am stripping off the old paint. Since I work in Health and Safety (especially in a battery manufacturing plant) I tested the paint for lead. Happily, it is not lead based.

mbelue, franksidebottom and ELynx like this.
  9. Okay, life and Summer Swim Team have taken over any build time. Third year for my daughter with the local swim team, and I announce for home meets.
    One nice find - a Craftsman jointer for $60.
    20180622_191201.jpg

rwkeating, ELynx and mbelue like this.
  10. Okay, swim meets are done! Maybe, just maybe, I can get back to working on this.
    I went to my friend's shop since he has a planer and worked on the hemlock.
    20180729_200734.jpg 20180729_200745.jpg

Oh, safety first:
    20180708_161214.jpg

Beej likes this.
  11. I had a some time to get in the shop this evening:
    Did a rough cut of the wings.
    Very. Rough. Cut.
    20180802_193655.jpg 20180802_193655.jpg
    20180802_193659.jpg

12. I think I need to buy a spindle sander. This is going to make my forearms look like Popeye hand filing and sanding.

Videojunkie and franksidebottom like this.
  13. Wow, it's been a LONG time since I've been here. Apologies to all, but with work, life, and my daughter's activities (which would fall under life, i guess), I have not been in the shop. Until last week. Lost my job (I am only a LITTLE upset about that. I sleep a whole lot better now) and now the pandemic, I HAVE TIME!
    Spent over a day cleaning out the shop from storing my wife's stuff, so now I can work.
    And what do I do? GLUE THE NECKTHROUGH!! Obligatory clamp pic.
    I'll unclamp it and plane it square at the end of the week, lousy wood drifted when clamping.

Attached Files:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. Took it easy today. Spent time sanding the wings. Sanding that 200 year old Hemlock is time consuming, but nice to see the tool marks go away. Still work to be done on it, though. IMG_20200326_133124_316.jpg IMG_20200326_201137_389.jpg IMG_20200326_201137_389.jpg

Matt Liebenau and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That is some beautiful wood.

Chuck Chill-Out likes this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    1s3wlm.gif

17. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you think you can finish it by June 21, you should enter it into the Special Edition build off that just started. It's a free-for-all and I'd say since this was a project from 2 years ago, it fits the theme well.

Or... if you don't think you can finish it by June 21, you should still enter it! Just sayin', people love watching.

18. SlingBlader

SlingBlader

Oct 19, 2013
    Chuck Chill-Out and Beej like this.
  19. HA! You are the second person to jokingly ask that. No, that is a trophy from Olympics of the Mind when I was in 8th grade. This is what happens when one cleans out stuff hidden in boxes from a move 2 years ago.

20. I never thought of entering. I always look at those who enter as much more professional than I am. BUT, if you think I should... :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021