Second build: "JVH Ulu", 6-string singlecut, semi-hollow, fanned frets...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JanVanHove, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Founder, Jan Van Hove Basses
    There's a saying in french "Là où il y a de la gêne, il y a pas de plaisir", roughly translated: where there's shame there's no pleasure...

So in that spirit, and inspired by the great projects I've seen here in the last few months... I present my second project:

fanned-ulu-002.jpg

Ok, the photoshop is a little rough, but like my last project, I'm sure that the wood will speak better than the photoshop...

Specs:

6-string fanned frets, 35 - 32" scale
    Bolt-on construction
    Single piece Oak body, red stain and black binding.
    Maple and walnut neck
    Birdseye maple fingerboard

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress...

2. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    that is so sweet looking!!:eek:

3. Good to see you're already moving onto the next build! Like the design too, although your sound hole seems a bit close to the pickup. And I think that that saying applies :D... with 6 strings and a fanned fret fb. Are you going to use multiple rods for this?

4. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I'm getting ready to start a fanned fret myself, I can't wait to see more.

5. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks, guys! :)

Robert, about the truss rods... For different reasons I'm gonna go with one:

1- The string spacing is gonna be relatively narrow, so the neck is not gonna be an ironing board....
    2- The single cut body attached to the neck at the 12th fret, greatly reducing stress on the neck...
    3- The fanned frets reduce tension on the higher strings, and thus general stress on the neck...

As for the soundhole, it's at a slightly different position on the 1:1 plan that I drew... now I have to make a cardboard version, then make it into a wood template, and then fire up the router and start eating some Oak! :)

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    have you ever used oak before? if not, it is a large candidate for allergic reactions. i get hives on my arms and whereever else the dust has touched, except my face, i dont know why. and i get really sick to my stomach, this lasts anywhere from a week to 3 weeks. so just be careful when you first start out with it, see if it is going to affect you or not, then procede, or not.

7. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks for the heads up! gloves and mask it is it seems!

8. Sounds okay, pretty curious about how it'll turn out!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021