Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

second cab for SWR Bass 350 and Eden 210T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smoothergroover, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Just as I thought I could get away with having the portable rig of my dreams I have joined a new band (funk/rock, 'alt') and found that I don't have enough volume on stage.

I would like to get either an Eden 410XLT or a 210XLT (I'm a big fan of the 8 ohm 210T I already have, but would like a slightly tighter low end.) I'm not a fan of 15s.

However I noticed in the manual that the minimum recommended power for these cabs is fairly close to the 350W that my SWR will push at 4 Ohms.

Question: Should I just trade in my 210T for a 4 ohm 410XLT, 2 8 ohm 210XLTs or will I be fine adding an 8 ohm version of either? I don't want to get rid of my trusted and reliable (not a glitch since 96) SWR.

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    If I were you, I wouldn't give up the flexibility of having a 2x10 and always having to carry the 4x10 XLT around. No small task.

If it were me, I would just add another Eden 2x10 cabinet. The XLT has a deeper low end, but I think either would give you the volume you'll need and will stack nicely.

You may not have that gig forever, and it's nice to have a couple of smaller boxes for better flexibility for different situations.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was in a similar position at one time, with regard to running two cabs. I was running an 8 ohm 2-10T with a GK 1001rb. I decided to buy an 8 ohm 2-10XLT and run it together with the 2-10T.

I didn't like the end result. One cab was louder than the other due to the power rating diff. also, the cabs had different tonal responses. The 2-10XLT had more low end, while the 2-10T had distinctly more mid-bass, with less ultra lows than the 2-10XLT. The two cabs did not compliment each other.

So, I sold the 2-10T and bought another 2-10XLT. I've been very happy with the two of them. I run both of them for gigs in larger rooms. For small to medium clubs, one 2-10XLT works fine. Ask Captain Wally, he was visiting Hawaii when I met him, and he heard me do a gig with just one 2-10XLT (aloha capt.!)

and these cabs are pretty heavy at 70 lbs each. I'm sure that I'd strain my back if I had to haul a 4-10.

4. I've got a Eden 210xlt perfect condition (just has lint on it) for $350.00. It's an 8ohm cab. You like?

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Shipping to Germany might up the charges a bit :)

Listen to Gfab -- he knows his stuff. Great player, great tone.

Gfab -- What about adding another Eden 210T?

I owned an XLT for a while and I definitely agree that are one of the harder 2x10's to lug around.

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I sugugest a 210-XST...lighter than the XLT, but more power and incredible low end.

BTB

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't want to be a downer, but there's a possibility that even if you do get another and more efficient cab, you still might not be loud enough. You might want to think about a bigger amp too.

8. Many thanks for all your comments; I've been convinced that the combination of my 210T with another ?XLT cab would be a bad move.

I like the idea of two D210XLTs. I definitely don't like the idea of shelling out for a new amp as well!!! There are only so many £ going around at the moment.

Thing is, Gfab's rb1001 sounds like it is a fair bit more powerful than my SWR (350W @4ohms). Eden quote a min recommended power of 175W RMS for the D210XLT. Does this mean they will sound worse when I'm not running at full volume? With 2 cabs I will only be able to push 175W into each...

Once again thanks for all the advice. Big String, if I was in the US I would be on my way now!!

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    In my experience, the SWR350 is sufficient to run two of these cabs. When you do the math, the difference between 350W and 540W is less than trivial. Regards!

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the compliment Capt.! Let me know when your in Hawaii again visiting Nate.

The other thing to consider is that you'll probably get a bit more of a "tube" amp tone with the SWR, relative to the GK. I think that the Capt. is right when he says there isn't a tremendous diff between the volume of a 1001rb and an SWR 350. The two cabs should work OK.

Actually it doesn't matter much, if you keep hanging out in this forum all the G.A.S. is going to cause you to buy a more powerful amp in the next 12 months anyway. and you'll succumb just like the rest of us.

then you'll want to buy the latest 1,000 watt rated 1 X 10 cab when it comes out next year, etc. etc. etc.