Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second cab suggestion for B2R & EA VL110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMJoel, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MMJoel

MMJoel Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Sudbury, MA
    I am back after a few years off and am not up to speed with the latest in gear. My basses are a '78 Stingray and a older Washburn AB-20 Fretless. My amp is an Ampeg B2R, Behringer compressor and EA VL-110 cab. Some of the clubs may need more speaker, so I am looking at options for a second cab to take out when needed. I would like to keep things on the small side, but want a full sound from the complete set-up. I have used an Eden 1-15 cab with this combo before and it did sound nice. I am looking for an 8 ohm cab. Here is what I am considering so far:

Another EA VL-110 or VL-208 if I can find them
    EA WZ112 or CXL112L
    Bag End S-15D
    Others I am not so familiar with but am curious about are Begantino, Acme and Accugroove.

Any suggestions?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My first recommendation would be another VL-110 or VL-208. If you are happy with the sound of the VL-110, this would really be the way to go. The Wizzy cabs are phenomenal, but keep in mind they are 4 ohm, and your VL-110 is 8 ohm. I am also quite fond of Bergantino, ACME and Accugroove cabs, and could provide you with more input if you like, but truly, your first option would be my vote.

Tom.

3. MMJoel

MMJoel Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Sudbury, MA
    Thanks Tom. I do like the sound I get now and get consistent compliments, especially from sound guys. I do need to keep my second cab to 8 ohms, I agree but did not realize the Wizzy was 4.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Adding a VL-208 would make for one of the best small combos I have ever heard, but the VL-208's are rather hard to find nowadays. Don't worry, I'm stopping at four of them :p (I think...). VL-110's are more readily available, and two VL-110's is a very nice setup.

Good luck, Tom.