Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Ok, I am running an 410 cab (4 ohms) through a Yorkville 400 Bassmaster (4 ohms).

My question is, if I was to add a second cabinet, say a 210 or a 15, what ohmage would that second cabinet need to be so as to keep my tone and volume the way I like it and not damage anything?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    That's an Ampeg 410, by the way.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, that depends. If your amp can handle a minimum load of 2 ohms, another 4 ohm cabinet would be fine. The formula is as follows:

1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 +1/R3 ....... and so on

If you have two 4 ohm cabs, then you have a 2 ohm load.

As for tone, that is a different animal. Remember that electricity will follow the path of least resistance, so if you are not bi-amping, it is usually best to use cabinets of similar impedance. In your case, a four ohm 15" cabinet would balance the sound nicely and not harm an amp rated to 2ohms. In my personal case, I have a 4ohm 2x10 and a 8ohm 15", so I biamp so that I can balance the output better.

Hope this helps.

4. I think you should definitely check with the manufacturer, because a 2 ohm load will most likely let the Magic Smoke escape from your amp. Once the Magic Smoke escapes, the amp doesn't work anymore.

A 2-ohm load is a severely harsh environment for your amp, and very few are designed to work at 2 ohms. Even for those that are, a 2-ohm load is right on the edge.

Also check to see if your 2nd speaker jack puts the cabs in series. If so, you will jump to a 8 ohm load which is perfectly safe for a solid state amp. If your amp is tube, you will have to change the transformer tap to 8 ohms. Again, consult the manufacturer first before plugging in.