1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Second hand AG500 arrived with a fault

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshatRWCMD, Nov 25, 2015.

1. JoshatRWCMD

JoshatRWCMD

Mar 19, 2012
    Hi bassers. I had been eagerly awaiting the arrival of an Aguilar AG500 which I won on eBay a few days ago. Sadly when it arrived it was behaving a little strangely...

The amp turned on, and was working fine for about 10 seconds. Then the sound disappears (with a relay click), then it comes back, then it goes off again ... etc ... :(

This happens every 1 second or so, regardless of what I am putting through it, channel selection, settings, bass, leads, anything. I checked the cab and it was reading out at 4 ohms on my multimeter.

But what on earth could be causing this? A faulty protection circuit maybe.

Has anyone had an experience like this from this or any other amplifier?

Any suggestions would be welcome, it will be going in to the repairers in the next couple of days and the seller has agreed to cover the costs so that's all dandy... but I'm really surprised by this totally weird fault.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Does it do it without a speaker cab? Have you tried a different cab? What cab do you have, if it has a piezo tweeter or certain crossover designs they can affect amplifier stability and the amp shuts down to prevent damage. Resets and repeats.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I too would like to know if this happens with no load connected. It's the first step in sorting out what is happening.

4. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Since the AG500 is a SS head, you can safely run it without a load. Like the above posts mentions, try it without a load and see what it does. If you have a problem with the cab or the speaker cable (such as a short) it could be sending the head into protection mode.

B-string likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I've had multiple problems with mine, but not that one.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

@JoshatRWCMD can you let us know the result of the test we asked you to perform. We can't help you if you don't help us. :(

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021