Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second Hand Cab? Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Sep 11, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I went into the local pawn shop today, and they had a fairly old Yamaha Bass amp. It didnt have a model name, but i look on the back of it, and it had Yamaha BS100 ~ 300 watts for $295AUS ($161US ;) ) If i haggeled i could probably get it down to $250. ($137US)

Its second hand, and the cloth of the front is a bit tattered and torn, but nothing a bit of elbow grease wont fix. As for size, it comes up to my waist, about 30 inches high and 24 wide.

The thing is, it is just a cab, and i dont have a head. Im curious, will my bass work with just a cab? Is there any way to get a good idea of what the cab is like without buying it and then regreting it. I really want this, but im scared im going to have to save up 3 grand for a head to get any sort of sound out of the thing, and that it is too much for what i need, but its not often something like this comes up. Its also really big, and not that crash hot for transport.

If i can ill get a shot of it, thats if the guys let me take one.

Thanks for your input guys.

2. There is nothing wrong with used equipment if you're careful when you buy. I bought a used Ampeg head and 2-cabs four years ago for $650 and have been totally happy with them.

As for your purchase of this cab. Well, you're not going to use it without some form of amplifier, either a head or speaker output from a combo. Cabs have no amplification of their own and cannot reproduce the output directly from a bass.

If you shop around carefully, you should be able to come up with a used head in the 250W-350W range for around $300, give or take some.

If the guy doesn't have an amp that you can play through to test out the cab, or you can't borrow an amp to take down to the store to test out the cab, I'd walk away on it. You'll have no idea what it sounds like or even if it's functional.

Good Luck.