Second hand Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by downward spiral, Aug 9, 2001.

1. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I want to replace the bass I have now, which has *horrible* fretbuzz with a black second hand Fender, which is in great shape but costs only $189... I think I could sell my bass for around $150... it's an apollo, and really good excpet for the fretbuzz.... is $189 to little for a good Fender and is it worth it?
    anything on this topic would be helpful....
  2. Depends..

What kind of fender is it ?
    What year was it built in ?
    Any special features on it ?
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    a skilled luthier or a skilled shop owner could make the right set up for your bass eliminating the fret buzz.
  4. Last night I got rid of the horrible fret buzz on my 5 string Jazz by raising the action. ( And when I say horrible, I MEAN horrible!:eek: )

Maybe this could fix you problem with your existing bass.
  5. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I will tr that, cause I actually like everything else about my current bass if not for the fret buzz and it's a cool color too.
    My fretbzz is especially band on the E string and the lowest notes on that...
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    that means your truss rod is too tight. take bass to luthier. luthier make it all better.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i agree, fill us in with more details about BOTH basses.

apollo? never heard of it.

8. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I put new strings in and changed the action and it sounds much better now....I like the color so I will keep it.
  9. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    you still dont have enough relief in your neck. Having high action just makes it worse. It takes away the buzz alright, but it just makes the bass harder to play. With the right amount of relief in the neck, all the frets will buzz equally up and down the neck (or not at all depending on how low the action is), and you can raise the action just until it barely buzzes anymore and your bass will be perfectly set up. You said your low frets buzz, and that means your truss rod is too tight. If it were too loose, you'd have buzzing in the high frets. IMO, you should still take your bass to a skilled luthier. I tried to set up my bass a month ago and did a pretty good job, but I am still unsatisfied with my work and am taking my bass to a luthier to have it expertly set up.
  10. Its worth it if you like the fender. If you like how it feels better and think it sounds better. Then go for it. It is only worth what the buyer will pay, and the buyer will only buy if he likes... so I will proceed to shut up.