Second hand gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Hey guys,
    I saw this ad selling and I quote:
    "Fender bassman 100 head 300 watts power, 4x10 Eminence cabinet".
    Now I've tried to look for some info on either of this stuff but no luck. Do eminence even make cabs? I thought they only made drivers. And if they do, what are the cabs like? Same last question for the fender bassman head.
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I have to admit that I don't know as much about Fender as some other companies, but the only Bassman 100 that I'm aware of is a 100 watt combo amp. There is a Bassman head, but it's the 400 head. As for the cabinent, I've never heard of Eminience making cabinents. I do know that Fender uses Eminience speakers though. Sorry, I'm not the most help ever with Fender gear.
  3. Sounds like an Eminence-speaker-loaded cabinet. Eminence make good speakers.

Fender made various-sized Bassman heads over the years, up to 135W. Sounds like this one is an older (70's) tube head - 4 x 6L6 power tubes putting out ~100w @ 4 or 8 ohms.

Tread carefully buying used tube gear...especially on "as-is" vintage gear...that's when talking turkey often gets you a bargain (always factor in service costs when buying a used tube amp).
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Fender also makes new bassmans that come in 60, 100, 200, 300, and 400 watts. I beleive White Knight was right when the only head is a 400 watter. For vintage fender amps, i'm pretty sure fender only put in jenson speakers.
  5. Sounds like it's a seperate 4x10 though...anyways...Fender also brought out a large number of non-tube Bassman-like heads, as well as the stupid all-tube 300ps (300w) and 400ps (400w) heads.

Check the price of the head - new Fender Bassman stuff is too stupidly priced now for antipodeans (~$2000NZD for the Bassman400 head) so if it looks cheap ($200-$500AUD) it's probably a vintage tube number. They do sound nice, that "woolly" and warm Fender tone, especially if you parallel the inputs (running both Bright and Deep channels together).
  6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Well, I'm not to worried about the head. But the cabinet sounds like it could be a good deal. I could probably get it for about US$125. That is, if It is a good cabinet. If it is a fender with eminence speakers, would that be a good cab? Would it work well with ampeg? I'll have to try it out, but I'll have to have my ampeg head by then. If I could get a cab for this cheap it would be great.
  7. Fender cabs are sweet...I played my Ampeg V4 thru one a few weeks ago - sounded tight and went low.
    Dunno what speakers this one had. I had played thru another Fender 4x10 a couple of years ago that I remember didn't have quite the same punch (it sounded more like an 18"). Different model cabs I remember.
  8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I never buy second hand amps. I think most of them have been overdriven.

I do buy used basses, their problems are usually obvious.
  9. but pre-loved gear has a vibe all it's own!

i'd tend to worry about pre-loved speakers moreso than amps...and axes, yeah, problems are MUCH more apparent.