second hand strings - starter set needed or any to recomend?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by daggers rule, Feb 16, 2009.

1. daggers rule

daggers rule

Jan 8, 2006
    Hi - I have only recently got my first DB and need to get some new strings.
    There are some many options for strings I though it might be worth seeing if anyone has a second hand set to sell, maybe you bought some and they didn't suit you or something!

I expent I will only be playing some folk/country and rockabilliy with heavier moments (I play bass in a punk harcore band so this is my more relaxed outlet!) so now bow but finger and a little slap.

Can anyone help or do you have any suggestions on a good set to buy? I'm used to steel strings from electric bass and nylon sounds gentler but whats your opinion? I know like most things buying cheap is normally false economy!

Im Based in Norwich, Norfolk in the UK.

thank!
    Rob

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You'll find several used strings for sale ads in the Classifieds.

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    For steel strings, I'd recommend Thomastik Spirocore, either in "mittel" (medium) or "weich" (light) gauge. Maybe for a beginner on upright go with the weich, they're a little easier on the hands. These are great strings and will last for a long time. If you can find some used, great, but a new set is a worthwhile investment.

A decent, inexpensive nylon string is LaBella Supernil. They are very different from Spirocore, much thicker in gauge, but much lower in tension. Strings like these have to be set with higher action, as they vibrate more widely. They will have a mellower, more "puffy" kind of tone. These are like "poor man's gut strings".

You will probably develop better technique using steel strings, they will seem more familiar coming from electric, but nylon and gut strings produce a different tone that you may also like.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021