1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Second hand strings

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Andydonovan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Continuing the quest for the perfect setup. I play 50pizz 50slap. Getting the right strings it proving to be an expensive nightmare. I think I like the sound of steels and started with spirocore mediums. I did try innovation jazz strings but they sounded dead when playing pizz.

I now have helicore lights but although better still finding it hard to slap, now I might just be crap and need more practice, but it would be good to try out some other sort of strings without forking out another £100.

Anybody got an old set of say silverslaps or rotosounds or similar kicking about? Obviously they still need to be in fair condition. I have the spiricores to swap or I don't mind making a sensible offer.

Am i the only one with this problem? Perhaps we should set up a string
    exchange program for hardup slappers everywhere, especially in these
    difficult times:0)

cheers Andy

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Hey Andy, have you tried weed whackers. They work pretty well and are real cheap! About 14 pound for a new set plus shipping.

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    He's not gonna like weedwackers if he is playing 50% pizz and Innovations (jazz strings?) were too dead sounding.

I would look into some solo steels (detuned to EADG) if you like steel strings. Superflexible Solos are good for this. Jargar Dolces are also popular for slap, but might be too dark for pizz, if you like a bright sound.

It's a balancing act between being too bright for slap (twangy) and too dead for pizz, IMO.

I hate bright strings though, so I play guts.

4. thanks for your views guys, maybe I'll try something less bright then I haven't been playing long and am still finding my feet really, it's just we do a few slow songs and the steels sounds great for them but I do admit they do sound clanky when slapping.

That's why I was after some old strings really so I could try some out. I suppose what I need is a shop on my doorstep where I can walk in and try loads of different basses with loads of different string set ups.

I only know one other doghouse bass player in a 30 mile radius.

Cheers Andy

Maybe I'll just keep a look out on eBay.