Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second hand/used classified sites, based in the UK.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 22, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  2. I think that about covers it unless you buy a copy of Guitarist and go through the retailers adverts and web sites.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What is it you're after, yoshi? Someone might be able to give you some leads reaching beyond nationwide classified sites if they know what kind of things would interest you.

Wulf

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is this the thing about having roughly £600 and wanting to get a bass? I can see the point of looking around to see what is out there, within your price range.

I have bought several used basses - but always from shops and having tried them extensively.

The trouble with buying without trying is that you could get a Fender Jazz or P, for example that are really good and play excellently for about £500, but you could also get one that's really bad and there is no way to tell from looking or from specs and decriptions.

The other thing is that you may get an excellent bass, but which just doesn't suit you and feels uncomfortable.

I would say that a trip to a shop with a good range of used basses would be far more fruitful - I'm not sure which is near enough to South Yorks though?

Bass Centres in Birmingham or Manchester are probably just as difficult to get to as London?

But it may be worth phoning round some of these larger shops to ask what used basses they have in your price range?

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmm wonder if Bruce is right about his price range?

Anyway, ebay has an MTD Grendel 5 string in red on it just now for £599. About 1 hour left on it - the seller is in Newcastle somewhere!

just thought I'd mention it! I though about it for a while, then realised how skint I was!:)

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hi, thanks for the replys.

Bruce, youve hit the nail on the head! Im attempting to find a new bass to possibly buy instead of that warwick thumb i almost got :( but the seller decided he didnt want to sell as he'd just rejoined his old band just a day before the arranged meeting/testing. (edit: was based in manchester, so travel isnt too big an issue, within reason)

I did have my hopes up of trying to get my paws on 'another' thumb, .

I wouldnt dream of just buying a bass by the way, new or second hand. Just i prefer buying second hand, as I've had some good turnouts including a 300W trace elliot for £150(about $225) and a bass collection sb310 for £180.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: thanks about the one on ebay, but imafter a 4 string, i own a 5 string but i put it up for sale to go towards the warwick, aswell as getting funding form my savings and 18th b-day present (i figure unless i get a good bass now, i wont be able to afford one throught uni!)