Second hand Warwick Thumb NT?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Today I went to a local shop which also sells a lot of second hand stuff. They had a Warwick thumb in good condition. A thumb NT normally costs 2819 euros.

The guy from the store says the bass is a few months old, but the serial number at the back of the head ended with the digits 92, so this bass is from 1992, right? It has the all wenge neck, a brass nut, bartolini PU's and 2band EQ. It is in very good condition (you could swear it is nearly new..)

Another thing: I was gassing for a thumb BO broad neck, since my main bass has 19mm stringspacing. Is the change to a smaller spacing difficult? I don't slap as much as I used to do and I will keep the other bass, so....

Oh, and about the neckdive and the bassballsized neck: It doesn't dive when you wear the bass high and i really like the neck.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks like you happened upon a rare treasure.
    While I've heard some old Ws go for even lower, but this is still a good price, especially in Europe for a 92 Thumb.

As you forgot to mention how many strings it has, I'm assuming it's either a 5 or a 6 ;)
    I'm okay with the spacing of my Corvette, I can even slap on it, but I'm sure it would be tight for others. IMO, it just takes some getting used-to
  3. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Sounds like a good deal to me for a nice, old, wenge-necked Thumb NT. Jump on it!

4. I been looking 4 one of those, we only got the newer ones here in SA
  5. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i got a 96 thumb nt of the bay for $1200 USD and i thought it was worth every frickin penny. i say go for it
  6. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    It's a 5string...

I might go to the shop this afternoon to try it one more time....we'll see.

Anyone else on the stringspacing-topic? Did anyone change from a broadnecked fiver to a 'normal' spaced one?
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've found string spacing to not be that big a deal on most bass's. I find after a week or so playing it your completely comfortable again. Just like making string jumps.

Though it depends on you I suppose.
  8. I was fine again after about a month (even for slapping) after making the transition from a Ibanez 4 string to a standard spaced 5 warwick thumb. once you get used to the standard spacing it can actually let you play a bit faster if you need...
  9. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    i paid $1500 USD for a BRAND NEW thumb bolt on 5 string back in 2001.

Are the prices still the same?
  10. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I went back to the shop today. They told me the bass is from another shop that went broke, so it hasn't been played....

I bought it, could resist...
  11. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

And you did it well! ;)
  12. Patchwork Cat

Patchwork Cat

Jun 9, 2005
    You have my drooling jealousy. Well caught! I saw a new 'surplus' BO at about the same price on ebay UK but I couldn't find the cash :(
    happing playing!
  13. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you know the rules- it doesn't exist unless there are pictures ;)