Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second handcabs - worh it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, Feb 13, 2002.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Recently, I've been interested in buying a 350w Hartke head - I asked about it in a thread a couple of days ago. I'm just about ready to go and put down a deposit on the head, but of course I need something to put it through.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying a cheap second hand cab, just for the time being - when I get enough money together, I'll upgrade to better speakers. Would it be worth doing this? If it is, what sort of thing should I look at when I'm buying the speaker - are there any obvious signs of damage or wear and tear that I should know about?

Thanks in advances for any replies.

2. Speaker's will not have obvious signs of damage or wear and tear .

A slightly burnt voice coil won't show up until a certain volume is reached or a particular frequency is approached at volume.

I bought a second hand cab and after paying for shipping the 100 lb. monster; it came with toasted voice coils. I called the seller and (of course) he said everything was fine when he shipped it. Had to replace all eight speakers.

If you buy a second hand cab, be prepared to replace or recone the speakers. Get a good common brand name cabinet built by a company with good customer service. It usually best to replace the speakers with the same manufacture and type because the cabinet is tuned to match OEM.

Find out how much a recone or new speaker will cost and factor that into the price.

I've had bad luck, many others have good luck with used cabinets. You certainly may find a lightly used cab for a great price and everything will be good to go.

Eden, Peavey, SWR, Acme, are some names to look into.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I was doing well with used cabs by mail, but then I got a 2x10 with creased cones. It made me realize that even if the seller is honest, he may not know anything about gear at all, and wouldn't know if a cab has been overdriven, is blown, or a host of other problems. It's bad enough that the rating standards vary from one person to another (seller calls it "excellent" and you get something that's obviously been gigged). But to chance a cab that has overheated voice coils, creased cones, or worse...

Sometimes I see some gal/guy driving a nice car or SUV, but driving it really really hard, and I'm thinking I'd feel sorry for the person who ever bought that car off them.

Now I only buy from net people that I'm familiar with, who know about gear. Even then, you have to be careful, ask a lot of questions, and insist on clear, high-resolution pics.

Nightbass

4. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I just received a used Mesa Boogie Road Ready 2x10
    that I bought through E-Bay. It was advertised
    as only having been used twice. The pix of it looked
    really good too. I was very nervous about taking
    a chance on it -but after corresponding with the
    previous owner--I took the chance. It has a few
    dings on it--the speakers look fairly new. I tried it
    out last Fri. night--I was a little embarassed about setting it on top of my Road Ready 2x15--the setup looks huge. By itself and with the 2x15s this cab sounds great.
    2x10 rated @ 8 ohms
    2x15 rated @ 4 ohms
    I have a question for you all in the know-
    If I have speaker outlets for 2 ohm loads--that's all I
    need to use both of these cabs--right?

My M/B 400+ has 2, 4, & 8 ohm speakers outlets-no problem
    My Basis M-2000 (which recommends 4 ohm loads) is the amp I'm concerned about--(better check my user manual tonight)

5. Be carefull here. If I'm not mistaken, when you put an 8-ohm cab in parallel with a 4-ohm cab, the resultant load is 2.6 ohms. Works OK with an amp able to take a 2-ohm load, but if it's rated for a miminum of 4-ohms, you could damage it.

6. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I got a SWR Goliath II in great shape for $250 a year or so ago, but it was a local deal and I could try it out. I wouldn't have gone for it otherwise...if it sounds too good to be true, it (usually) is!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have bought on ebay or my local paper:

Peavey Century 200 amp
    Peavey 215 cab
    GK RCB 200 amp
    QLS 115 cab
    Carvin Cyclops combo
    Carvin RC210 combo
    Carvin 118 cab

I changed the speakers in the 215 for some with more power handling ability. But they were in good shape so I sold those old speakers back on ebay. So far, I have not had any problems with any of my purchases. Maybe I'm lucky. :)

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm planning on buying a cab locally, rather than trusting eBay or whatever - ideally, I want to be able to take the head and my bass with me, and try them out. I'll probably be on the lookout for something like a Peavey - solid and reliable rather than pretty. Still, all that's assuming that I can find anything in Liverpool... :eek:

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'd check out ads on harmonycentral.com, bassgear.com and digibid.com before I risked E-bay. BTW, try to avoid mail-ordering large tube amps, period. UPS WILL break those suckers. I bought an eden 2x10 on harmony central that seems to work fine, but I was sure to call the seller and make sure I knew their address, workplace, etc. (that STILL didn't help when I bought a mesa 400+ on ebay that turned out to be broken.)

10. if the 400 plus is a tube amp i would be careful... Do you need to have the correct matching resistance for mesa tube heads? If you have to switch between 4 8 or 16 and you have 2.6 that could be a problem..

later...

Drake

11. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nice cars were meant to be driven hard. It really pisses me off when I see a slow sports car. You buy a fast car to go fast.

For example, a kid at school has a RX-7 and he shifts at like 6,000 RPM when the thing redlines at 9,000 RPM (plus it's a rotary, so you can shift at 11,000 and not break a thing). He uses his sports car as a freaking show car. It's the dumbest thing ever. The kid ran a 15 second 1/4 mile when the car is made to run like a 13 stock.

Hehe, sorry about the cars on the bass forums, but you know whenever you talk about cars, you're gonna get 2 cents from a tuner like me.

But on topic, I dunno about used bass gear, I've only owned a used Hartke 2000 head and I got a new Ampeg head like 4 months after I got the Hartke.

12. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have never bought a second hand cab and i probably never will!! I did buy a second hand amp though and that needed repairs almost immediately but now its fixed its the best amp i have ever played. If you buy second hand gear be prepared to get it repaired then you will be happy if it doesnt need repairs and you wont be upset if it does!! Thats how i think about it anyway!!!

13. I saw a used Ampeg 4x10 for $200 the other day. I plugged in and started playing, and was almost sold. I waited until all the salespeople left me alone and cranked it. One of the speaker distorted pretty badly. I told them about the problem and gave them my number if they decide to replace it.

I'll only buy used if I can try it before I buy it. Personally, I shy away from used speakers via mail. But that's just me. OTOH, I've got 2 Carvin 10" speakers I'll probably only be able to sell on ebay.