Second opinion before the deal...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diabolic Wrath, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Diabolic Wrath

Diabolic Wrath

Dec 18, 2000
    I'm playing bass for a while now, and I am about to buy a new bass.
    I'm thinking on buying a Washburn XB400.

It sounded right to me in store, but I want some second opinions from 'expirienced' washburn xb400 players, why i should or shouldn't buy this bass...
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Why get a washburn when you can get a better bass??
    I mean... I have played some washburns, and I have never in my life liked them.
    Please tell us your expectations of a good bass and your price range. We will suggest some great basses acording to your budget.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you like the Washburn, it's fine.
  4. I totally agree with Ifabara, I´ve had nothing but bad experiences with the Washburn´s. I´d look around one more time.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you like the sound and the feeling everything is ok, even if washburn is not one of the most known and respected brand out there.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I say play as many brands in your price range as you can, and if the Washburn is what feels and sounds best to you, get it.

Don't buy what people tell you, buy what YOU like. After all, you are the one who has to play it, not us.
  7. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I would ask those people specifically what they dont like about Washburn. Maybe they have valid reasons, but maybe they are just not realizing that you cant get a $1500 bass for $500 (its true, you cant - shock! gasp!). In your price range what are the options?
  8. I will tell you specifically what I dont like about Washburn. First, the fingerboard often has a hump or"kick" at one or both ends. This is often seen at the first three frets under the G string. Second, the preamp in them is one of the worst of any Korean bass. The bass knob enhances wooliness, and the treble knob enhances brittleness. I am a retailer, and used to sell Washburns, nearly every one had these problems.
  9. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Marty, do you know anything about Brian Moore basses. I am interested in their "i series" which are korean made.
  10. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    doe's it turn u on,doe's it make u smile,doe's it feel good TOO YOU if so go for it.i understand how important feed back is that's why there's talk bass
    but U must decide for yourself if it's the one for you.or you can save you're money and treat yourself with a lakland.
  11. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    I was in the same price bracket, but I decided to spend all my saved up money and get a 7 string conklin with an ampeg stack. I got it all for $1600, when I would have paid about $1000 for a different setup. Worth it in my opinion.

Personally, I like washburn in general, but the XB400 basses are not something I like. I dont know what it is, but they just feel "skimpy"

If you are going with a cheaper one, get a dean, hartke, or shecter stiletto.

Dean Edge 4 or 5 string. $359 (sale) at (In MD). YOu can pay $100 more for quilted top and better electronics. This bass got first as one of the bang for the buck models in Bass player.

Shecter stiletto: new series, starts at $370 and goes higher,

Hartke AK4 or AK5 you can find at $199 and up. Try Victor litz for them too, they are on "blowout". Never played this model, only heard about it.

The XB400 is a Victor litz for $399, they have about five, they have been on the floor for eternity.

Good luck
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I live almost a mile from Victor Litz.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I myself am not a Washburn fan either, I feel they are poorly constructed and need major improvements in there electronics.

Im not the one who is going to spend my hard earned money on one. If you really like the sound, and playability of the Washburn then by all means get it. But there are better ones out there in that price range. You should play as many different brands as you can before you buy one, and when you decide on what brand and model you want, have them bring you several different ones of that particular model, so you can play each.