second opinions on eden or ampeg head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rynkc26, Sep 25, 2004.

1. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    ok i pretty much got it down to 2 heads that in my opions are pretty good pro heads that match my 810 peavey cab. i cant really decide on either to get a ampeg svt3 pro or the Eden WT-550 Traveler Head. i know that ampeg is well known for their sound but what bout eden's? and what kind of sound does the edens give out. thanks
  2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    The best answer (as always) is try before you buy.

Having said that, you are looking at two completely different sounds.

Even which Ampeg head makes a difference.

What style of music do you play? That would have some bearing on your decision. i.e.: I would think you might prefer the Eden over the Ampeg if you play jazz.
  3. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    i play mainly metalcore. i like the boomy low end that can rattle anything into dust mixed in w/ a nice clean highend.
  4. Having owned an ampeg and now having edenwt 800, I prefere the eden for most aplications. I run the head through and eden 410xst and the bottem is so big that it will shake the fillings out of your grandmas teeth 2 miles away! :D But the 410 xst is geared for that. Eden heads generally give a warmish true color to your tone. Where most Ampegs I've tried color The sound in the mids very punchy high mids.

But you also are going to run it through your existing cab so you have to try the heads out with your cab to see what its going to sound like.

Both can be great heads just depends on your taste.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You really need to try both heads. It's pretty safe to say that , if you really like the sound of Ampeg, then Eden isn't going to do much for you, and vice-versa. Eden gives a clean, punchy, tight sound. I think Eden's EQ makes it extremely versatile, and I play everything from country music to Norah Jones to AC/DC on mine.
  6. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    yea tryining it out is really good u know that sometimes at the music store that amps dont sound the same in a band setting. but from anyones experience can the eden or the ampeg go from that low open string punishment tearing everything apart to a warm fuzzy feeling on a breakdown. i want a amp that can do the low to high end w/ no trouble. what amp would win that battle?
  7. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    o i also forgot to ask if the eden would be fine for anything metal?
  8. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I haven't played that Ampeg model, I've only played through their classic tube amps (B-15, V4, SVT - I don't own any but played through em in studios and the occasional gig). Eden heads (I own a WT-300) are a whole different sound.

The Edens have a very clean tone - not clinical-clean like an EBS preamp or something, there's definitely some warm fuzzies in there, but you can NOT really get them to overdrive and get super-gritty. They just don't do it. If you push them way too hard in search of nice overdrive, all you get for your trouble is harsh clanky clipping that is not useful for any music I know of. The classic Ampeg amps, on the other hand, don't give you the same flexibility for clean EQ, nor do they deliver as much clean power as a high-wattage Eden would; but the Ampegs have something the Edens totally lack: a delicious midrangey overdrive that retains fat bottom and it's really seductive for rocking out. Frankly I wish my Eden had more of that character and I'm thinking of moving on to something else.

Note that I have NO idea if this comparison applies to the Ampeg head you're considering. I haven't had much chance to play through recent Ampeg models.

If you don't have the option to try before buying (mail order I guess?)
    make sure the seller has a good return / exchange policy in case you change your mind.
  9. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    thanks, yea i guess ampeg probly would be a lot better to just jam out on metal or anything heavey
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno. Never played no metal.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    According to Brendan, yes.

I dont think Ive ever played anything quite as metal as what you're doing but Ive played with plenty of hardcore bands using my Eden gear and its worked great. I like it better than most Ampegs.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

I play anything from Tool and Godsmack to Commodores and RHCP. I can get my Eden to any of those styles. I also use a Sansamp to help give it some dirt from time to time.
  13. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You said you wanted deep lows and crisp highs...get the Eden. If you ever need an overdriven sound, add a Sansamp BDDI in front of it. You'll get the best of both worlds.
  14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I play everything from Rush to David Lindley to Maiden on my WT800 and does it with ease.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have played Staind, Black Sabbath, SOAD, Metallica, RUSH, ACDC, and Deep Purple with my Eden amp. Somewhere among those bands can be found heavy metal.

The Eden did the job perfectly for me every time.

16. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    thanks for all the inputs ill probly just try to go up to musicians friend and see if they have a eden i can try out.(they have a musicians friend warehouse/store down in k.c.)
  17. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    My easy 2 cents on it... You play metalcore? Stay away from the Eden. The Ampeg is going to give you that fuller "Wall Of Sound" like you likely will want. But of course try before you buy. But speaking from experience having owned both brands, I never would use Eden for anything heavy, it had to be the balls to the wall chunk that only the Ampeg head can give you.