Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

second thoughts about lil' bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    after playing my new sr800 for a while, im having doubts. it seems so tiny and light, and i don't know if the low tones sound that good (especially when i tune way down to c or b). i think the action might be low because the e string hits the neck if i pluck it moderately. i love the electronics however, and all the different tones i can get. but i have this doubt that if i had gotten big heavy mahogany-body bass that it would sound a lot better. someone try to cheer me up :(

(just as a side note, i havn't gotten my new cab/amp yet. i have been playing with my pocket rocket into my home theater speakers, which aren't too shabby but are by no means a peavey 4x12!)

2. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    For a big improvement in your tone control, look into an outboard preamp. I use a SansAmp DI with my SR810, and it really did wonders, especially in its tube amp emulation mode. The Soundgear preamps run trebly, in my experience, and the SansAmp has helped to restore balance to the tone and get rid of a nasty hum from the Ibanez's stock preamp.

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    eh maybe. i just think that my soundgear feels whimpy and little compared to my old g&l jazz bass. i mean seriously it is as small as a guitar and possibly even lighter! maybe i'll change my mind when i get my new 4x12 cab tho :)

4. Hmmm....usually EVERY bass is gonna sound pretty shxtty when you tune it down to C or B. If I were you, I would

1) Get some new strings. Stock strings usually suck

2) Not tune down to C and B. Get a 5 string or tune BEAD if you wanna do that.

You seem to like the way it sounds...Does it play good? Does it look good to you? If so, then have some fun and play the bass!!!

What's the problem with it being light? That's a good thing. You won't need to go to a chiropracter after playing only an hour.

5. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i think i'll get some GHS boomers and see how they sound. i think i still need to get used to the ultra slim neck and tight spacings because i often miss the strings when i try to pluck them :(