Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second thoughts, mullings, and general financial angst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I've got dough. Dough out the wazoo I've been saving up for just such an occasion as a new bass. Right? Right.

So, I go over and over with Matt Schmill about a custom bass. So, while I in NYC and since I've been back, I've been talking with my mom and thinking about it. I don't know. I've got college looming, and a car, and an apartment...but, at the same time, I have money for a custom bass...but at the same time, some kick ass cabs. I could spring for an Epifani 6x10. Which would really send me into amp orbit, or a new preamp. Or something.

But with those looming financial restraints, do you think maybe I should scoure used and pick up a preamp, cab, or bass for like $6-900 for GAS purposes, while still having a large chunk of change to save with?

Or all to the funds?

WOE IS ME.... er, or is it "whoa is me?"

Whatta ya'll think?

2. Brendan: you DO NOT NEED a 6x10. Good God, man. Has playing death metal made you that deaf?

The people who think they need 200 pounds of amplification equipment to rock out are the ones who will need 250 in two years.

3. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've done the new bass thing, but I doubt I'll ever do it again. You can get a world class beautiful used bass for way less than what you'd pay new. Save a few cents for something else, and buy used.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I have to disagree. A 6X10 cabinet has a very cool sound to it. Just because you have a 6X10 cab does not mean you have to play at ear-shattering volumes, nor does it mean you have bad choices in gear.Some 6x10's sound much better than 4X10's and were designed to sound good at low level. I think it is important (depending on your goals) to have both a smaller rig and a bigger rig.
    Play one decent sized stage outside, with a soundman who has a bad attitude, and you will be mighty glad you have a 6X10 cab and 800-1600 watts of power behind you.
    My 6X10 HLF has a terrific sound and I wouldn't part with for anything. I just don't need it for everything.
    Go for the Epifani!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe.

Then again, I'd be straight up adding it to my XLT. Which would come out to 10x10s. Which, if you think about it for a minute, gives you a strange feeling in your pants. :D

And, hell, I'd be covered in the amp department, period.

But a new used bass sounds really tempting.

6. Brendan's not gigging professionally and he already owns a D-410XLT of which he doesn't plan to get rid, and owns nothing but cheapo basses.

I say get a nice bass and be done with it.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cheapo? I beg to differ. That MTD Kingston ain't no "cheapo."

The Ibanez...ehhhh, with the EMGs it's a great sounding bass.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I realized the other day, when I was contemplating a new bass, that I was in college. I think it's my job to be poor. I COULD buy a pretty decent bass with the funds I have, and I COULD put a down payment on a nicer car, but considering the student loans I will have to pay off, and that I only have ONE YEAR of school left before I have a decent sized, steady paycheck rolling in, a new bass can wait. You don't NEED anything now. None of us ever really NEED gear to begin with.

Bottom line: School won't last forever. Gear can wait.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    eh, if you're steadily gigging and half your income comes from gigs - then you NEED gear. how much/what quality is the question.

i think, that if you have a bass you're happy with, that having your amp situation sorted is almost more satisfying. at least it is for me. i'm about 400 bucks away from not having a single musical situation that i would be unprepared for. if you only play one kind of music though, that's not as crucial, but being able to never be over or under amped on everything from the biggest stages to the smallest coffee houses is very nice.

how much moneys are we talking here?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...to keep a sizeable chunk in the bank, I'd like to spend up to about $900, tops. And If I could sell my Kingston...well...still $900, thought I'd prefer the $700 neighborhood.

I'm looking at 4s that would hold up nicely when strung BEAD.

Right now, I'm thinking about scouring ebay for a Pedulla MVP, which go for dirt cheap...there's one on right now for about 625, but I can't accept the weird cherry burst...

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    When I was playing in college I had an Ibanez copy, a 100-watt Peavey amp and homemade speaker cabinets. Of course, I never even thought of a second bass. All my gig money basically went into incidental stuff, since the first Thoroughbred store was in the university area. Once I was employed, I played another Ibanez copy, had a 200-watt Peavey head, and a Fender Bassman bottom with two 15' speakers. All my gig money basically went to buy more small stuff, since the first Thoroughbred store was still there and expanding. I ultimately got a job, but then I bought a diamond, got married, got a house, had four kids, put two in private school, etc. etc. etc. Now I play a Lakland, have a 400-watt Carvin head, a SWR Goliath 4x10, and that's about it. I still can't afford to go crazy with any discretionary funds, because they aren't really discretionary. The moral: be happy to get the basics. As your financial situation improves, no one will fault you for top-of-the-line basics. If you are a gigging bassist, you need at least the bassics!

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've got a New Epifani 610 sitting next to an Epifani 410 and they both kick the a$$ out of everything. But the 610 Kick's the A$$ any 810 and especially...... well the 1010 thing :D

The Epifani 610 is a monster and at 1500 watts RMS is takes most any 810 cab.

But on the fund age issue, think scents able. If you have a good car then get a good bass or/and rig. If you don't owe any loans spend the money on yourself and get a rig.

However, if you have a piece of crap for a car and you owe money then pay your bills!

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    when I was in college in the 80's i played full time in a top 40 band (i gag at the thought) I had new gear all the time, BUT...I didn't have a custom bass- well, I had a PRS which was crap but was considered "custom at the time...go figure.

at any rate, I would spriing for the FBB..sounds like you're covered in the amp dept.( PM is right - you really do not need nuclear amplification)

after all, you cannot play an amp.:)

14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Brendan? SECOND THOUGHTS? I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THOSE WORDS FOLLOWING ONE ANOTHER IN AN ENGLISH SENTENCE.

Pot. kettle. black, yeah yeah.

Sarcasm aside, i'd suggest the friggin' bass. You've got what, 2 XLTs and you don't seem to gig very often (come on, you're in port saint lousy, not Tampa, capitol of original death metal ;) ). Instead think about practicality, I mean, it's choosing the lesser of the two evils: Do I want/need a new amp or do I want/need a new bass? Or, alternatively...do I need a car? Do I need rent? it's times like these that you must organize proper priorities, and we can't assist you in that :)

I think you should get a doub pearce neck for your ibanez if you enjoy it..37" scale neck. just a thought.

I'd say you'd have no need for a 6x10, but all of this is debateable.

I'd say go for the fbb, if thats your bag. My only suggestion for ordering a "Custom" bass is KNOWING WHAT YOU WANT. Listen to the luthiers. I ordered a custom bass and got what I wanted, but it wasn't what I wanted, but that was my poor decision making, not the luthier's. Great sounding bass, just not for what i'm using it for. So know what you want.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A Schmill? Why?

16. Got some experience with them, old man? They're worth the money.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    "Kick his ass, C-Bass!"

Brendan...The FBB would be one hell of a bass, but if you're worried about future expenses, I'd go with those. Put some money aside, and start looking for a less expensive bass that you will be comfortable with. You could find something like a used Cirrus or lower MTD or Skyline...something along those lines, that could handle your BEAD tuning. You've got that amp situation covered, man. I know I've been REALLY drooling over that FBB 7string beast, but I've got to prioritize...decent rig must come first. :(
    Fortunately I've got school all payed for with good grades, and a reliable car, that while isn't very fancy, it will hold all my crap and take me where I wanna go. When I sell my motorcycle this spring, all proceeds will go towards a rig(s) that will cover all situations.

18. Like some of the others have said, this is ultimately going to depend on how you prioritize things. Since you seem to be looking for opinions, I'll go ahead and share mine.

It seems to me like you've got enough bass stuff to survive for the moment. GAS is a huge pain*, but taking care of school and basic necessities is more important IMO.

Making sure the other things are taken care of first will hopefully ensure that you won't end up with a really nice custom bass that you have to turn around and sell if you end up needing money. I've seen this happen to a few people, and it's really a sad thing to see.

I may be rambling a bit, but that's my opinion. I would certainly make sure that all necessary things are taken care of first. Good luck coming to a decision!

*My "GAS is a pain" credentials: I'm going into my 3rd year of college and I've already bought 6 basses since my freshman year (3 have been sold). Even after all of this, I still want more stuff (And I'm only a hobbyst -- never gigged). Nevertheless, ensuring your financial security before making any purchase is very wise.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree with Da5id - I went to College in the late 70s early 80s and simply had to buy a decent bass.

But, by the end of my final year, I was basically bankrupt, owed huge amounts of money to the bank and was forced to get a job that I didn't really want, just to pay off the minimum repayments on what I owed.

Eventually I ended up selling that really great bass I had bought when I was at college, for much, much less than I paid for it and started a spiral of debt which forced me to stay in money-earning jobs throughout my 20s, when I really wanted to be playing music and going off on tours! :(

I did have a great time at college - but that was 3 years - it was followed by many more years of just repaying debts!

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK