second thoughts on my cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 14, 2004.

1. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    heres the deal. i put the head and cab i bought on layaway, because thats all they had available for the particular pieces of equipment...guitar center's policy, have to hold used items for 30 days, blah blah blah.

i payed $120 down. the head is $180, so i'm fairly certain that i could take the cab off of layaway, and just pay for the head. i dont see why they'd have a problem with that, since i'm not taking back any money, and they're not even available to be picked up yet.

i bought them both kind of as a rash decision; i'm reconsidering if that was a good idea now.i thought i was getting quite a deal since it was used...turns out i saved a whopping $20 on the cab (hah). the head on the other hand, $100+, so thats a good one, considering it was store bought. anyway.

if i take the cab off of layaway, combined with what i have at home i'll have $270. and i can sell old guitar equipment for $50....cut to the chase. i can get a hartke reasonably priced 4x10 and have money to spare.

here's the question and the reason for posting: 1x15 vs 4x10 as a standalone. either one that i get, i will eventually get the other...IE if i stick with the 115, i'll get a 410 down the line, or vice versa. but for NOW, and at least for a few months since i wont have a job/i'll need to buy other things, it will be a standalone can for a while.

for reference its a Peavey 115 BVX and a Hartke 2000 head, if that makes any difference.

i ask alot of probably stupid questions but help me out :cool: 410 or 115?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to be honest you have to check them both out side by side
    in theory a 410 will move more air than a 115, but it depends upon the individual cabinets - i've heard some 115's that blow a lot of 410's away volume wise
    and then there's always the tone factor............
  3. appler

appler Guest

I tried the same setup and I didn't like it. I ended up returning both the head and the cabinet. :meh:
    The Hartke head is a great deal... shoulda kept that one. Try and find a different cabinet though, if you don't think you'll like the Peavey. Try some 4x10's and 1x15's and see what you like best by itself. You can use either as a standalone, although I'd probably insist on a tweeter in a standalone 1x15. They're both viable options, just find out which you like better for now.
  4. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    thanks for the advice guys, i'm still debating what to do...

see i liked the sound of the set up just great, i made a point of playing only with cheap basses and it still sounded good to me. so its not an issue of me liking the set up...just an issue of volume i guess, since itll be a single child for while.