Second thoughts on my ME50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 23, 2005.

1. I need some help here.. I just bought a ME-50B a couple weeks ago.. Let me, most of the sounds on it are GREAT. One big problem is how they have grouped some of the effects. For instance, the octaver and autowah are on the same pedal. This is a problem for me because I use the octaver with the autowah together alot. Also, the sound recording module is on the same pedal as the chorus. Individually all the sounds are great, but I find it very limiting on what effects I can use at what time.

I've been considering trading in for the GT-6B but need some clarification on some things. First, can the GT-6B do the mentioned above settings (octaver & autowah together)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thats the biggest.. If that doesnt fly, then I wont trade in.
  2. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    this is indeed a problem with the me-50b... i mean even a zoom pedal allows you to layer effects... but i think that because boss has chosen a layout whereby effects are grouped into blocks (3 blocks on the me-50 and 5 on the gt6), layering effects that are within the same block isnt possible. but im not certain. head over to and try and find a user manual. it may be that the octave and wah effects are in separate blocks on the gt6.
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yep you can do compressor, OD/DS, chorus, reverb/delay, wah and amp models with separate controls. But their FX-1 and FX-2 banks are more rigid - for example, since both phaser and flanger and in the FX-2 bank, you can't layer them (just a rough example, I know it probably wouldn't sound good) :D
  4. So all the effects are in two FX banks??

I've read about every thread on here about the GT-6B and I'm not really sure why so many people are ragging on it.. I know the ME-50B has more knobs and is more configurable on the go. BUT, for me atleast, once I have the patch set, thats where its staying.
  5. Personally, I think the GT6B is just an ME50 B with 2 more pedals to control the banks...

if you really want to have complete control about layering your effects, you know what im gonna say, get separate pedals.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This is the reason I went with separate pedals. It's the only way to get EXACTLY what you want.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    But spending thousands of dollars on a huge pedal board isn't very cost effective to some people...

If you can't live with the fact that you can't layer certain effects, then you've definitely gotta get separate pedals. But judging by your question (you want to layer octave and wah effects) this can be done with the GT-6B.
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Nor it is live use friendly! :)

9. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You probably can layer the fx on a GT-6B, or you could use the wah function on the expression pedal in conjunction with the octave on your ME-50B, or you could go out and buy an octaver or auto-wah stomp box to go with the ME-50B. I stayed away from the GT-6B because I didn't want or need the amp modelling (which I am still convinced is just a bunch of preset eq points) as I really, really like the tone of my basses and amps just as they are.
  10. There is anohter option, you can hook up any other pedal to the me50b... I do it all the time with my Big Muff... that way, you Can layer in this case the big muff over ANY effect you have on... preset or no.

in this case you can have the me50b for your weirder effects and have a couple of really good pedals on the same setup.
  11. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Yes, you can use octave and autowah at the same time on the GT-6B. I prefer the touch wah over auto.. the harder I dig in, the better the effect.

And as far as the amp modeling goes, I only use it when I run the GT-6B direct. There is plenty of storage for custom patches, so this is not a problem. I enjoy mine, although I have thought about selling it. I think I'll keep it and try to spend a little more quality time with it. My only gripe is that the instruction manual could be better. It's easy to understand, but some of the feature need a little more depth and explaining.

Most of the effects are separated in two banks. I think you can layer the effects on banks FX1 & FX2, only thing is one of the effects would have to be on all the time. For instance, you can set the flanger on FX2 to be on at all times and program the FX2 control pedal to turn the phaser on and off while the flanger is still on. This is something I just happened to stumble upon. The OD/FX1 pedal controls both overdrive and FX1 effects, I had FX1 set to octaver - always on and was able to turn the OD on and off on top of the octaver.

I've had my GT6B for about 6 months and I'm still learning it. The most difficult thing for me is to get the volume settings set so that each of my patches will sound evenly set. It's a pretty good battle, but eventually I'll get it set to my liking.
  12. Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    I like to use the octave settings with the wah pedal function on my Me50B. It is up to your foot to control it but sounds great. I have just started getting into tweaking the synth effects and love those too. For the money great pedal!! I have no use for amp modeling effects so its perfect for my needs.
  13. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

PLEASE tell me how to do this! :help:
  14. I went ahead and got a GT-6B.. So far I really like it.. To me, maybe not to others, I'm noticed a different in sound between it and the ME50B.. The GT-6B sounds a bit better to me.. It may just be in my head though because I'm excited to have it.

The only complaint I have so far is the terrible manual. You are pretty much on your own to learn it.. Luckly, I have two weeks before my next gig when I'll need to. So, I have time to mess with it.
  15. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah I ignored the manual too, pretty much learned everything by trial and error. And while I don't know all it's tricks, I know enough to get a pretty good tone with it! I've recorded with it with amazing results, by the way.
  16. I had the same problem. I bought an ME-8B an played around with it for a year. Never got the exact sound I wanted :( . So now I'm changing to separate pedals although I occasionally use the ME-8B as a 'testlab'.