1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Secondary bass, in $300-500 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thudfromafar, Sep 24, 2008.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm just looking for a solid bass for general rock/pop/alternative. Something in-between P & J type fretboard (closer to J if anything). Reliable. Not too light but not too heavy. Not too plain looking :)

I have an Ibanez GSR 200 which I would use, it actually sounds about right for what I'm looking for. BUT, it's so old and I feel like it's going to break soon, plus it's too light, it feels like it's made of paper or something. Hmm, maybe that's the stingray speaking.

I'm going to go to the store and try stuff out, but I just want a general idea what to look at...

And I know there are lots of threads like this, sorry, but I'm being a little more specific.

2. Yep, stingray speaking. Not a damn thing wrong with a GSR200.

3. I'd have a look at the Squier Vintage modified series. Especially the J.

I have one and it's a really nice bass, even without taking the price into accounts.
    Feels solid and isn't too heavy. Although it's obviously not Fender quality, it can hold its own very well.

Cheers,

Dave.

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    G&L Tribute L2000, but since the price increase you'd have to go used.

Built like tanks, great versatility. Some of them weigh almost as much as a tank, but not all.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I got a good deal on a used MTD Heir 5 and really like it - not too great in the "P-bass emulation" but a great backup bass or one that I can take anywhere.

Dan K.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Would be hard to go wrong with a used MIM Fender. P, J, or P/J. I like a good P/J personally. Sounds almost like a J but with more oomph in the low end. Plus, if just want a regular P sound you can just turn the J p/u off.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Someone has a very nice Yamaha BB605 for $300 in the For Sale section. Great bass.

8. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Any other suggestions? :)

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    How about an SX Jazz? Invest in some better pups and you're right in that range.

10. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I've got a MTD Kingston 5 in mint condition I can let go for $325.00 shipped. Let me know.

Attached Files:

11. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you want a 5er, the Kingston is a great bet. MIM fenders are also a good choice. I say this all the time, but you should definately check out a used Lakland Skyline 44-01. A great bass, though it's at the very top of your price range. They come up for sale pretty frequently here.

12. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    easy. fender standard MIM p. cost $449
    they hold up pretty well as far as i know. its a pretty resonable price for a good bass. you might have to mod it alittle(change strings,etc.) but that shouldnt cost too much more.

13. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    MiM Fender, Squier VM, SX

Without a doubt the top 3 for what you seem to be looking for. All are decent and will satisfy your needs.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Another one to consider is a Used Carvin. They are great basses and they are steals when they're used.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks for pimpin' my gear :)

16. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Ibanez ATK?

17. Shy Guy

Shy Guy