Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Secondary instrument?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What should I, or should I?

Here's the thought. It seems to be impossible to find a good bass teacher in my city! One older blues/jazz bassist was recommended to me, but the school he was giving lessons in has been quit and I can't seem to be able to find the guy anywhere. So every teacher here is only couple years older than me(mid-20s), and I want well-experienced teacher.

So, perhaps I should take lessons on some other instrument. Piano, drums or vocals seem to be the options: Piano would probably give me much more understanding of theory, notation and chords and improve my songwriting a whole bunch, Drums would improve my sense of groove and working with my drummer (I guess) and Vocals well, I could learn how to sing harmonies or perhaps even lead.

It seems like piano would be the most sensible secondary instrument here. Anyone who has taken up some other instrument besides bass, care to share advice?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah I play several instruments.

I would say, all of the above! Have lessons on all of 'em!

Really, it depends on what kind of music you're playing. But, being able to play the piano is incredibly useful as far as composition, chords and theory and the like go, as you say.

Perhaps piano would be the best option. Difficult to say.

3. mt10125

mt10125

Nov 15, 2002
    West Virginia
    Piano would probably be your best bet. Personally, I like playing the sax and trumpet.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I play guitar as a "secondary" instrument, I guess...but I don't really put bass or guitar ahead of one or the other.

I find that when I take the time to learn something on either instrument, that something tends to click on the other instrument.

I think that you should take lessons on any instrument that you enjoy and what you learn will most likely spill over onto the bass...take tuba lessons if you want!!!

5. i have to agree, its always good to learn instruments. i play drums and guitar, plus im picking up the keyboard a little bit. its always good to know about theory and have the understanding of music that many different points of view give you. but, if you could only get one instrument for lessons, play piano. if you want groove, learn the drums.

and guitar, well, if you want to be a wanker....