Secret Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 25, 2003.

1. So I'm told the Traynor yba-3 is a secret of sorts. I've read it was actually the bassis for the ampeg SVT design. This traynor amp was apperantly "snuck down" to the states by some guy (the name escapes me) and given to ampeg to copy. I've read that ampeg in a sense just made it more powerful! It's supposed to be an amazing machine conservatively rated at a little more than a 100W. They say it's 2/3rds the SVT in volume and weight, like a mini SVT.

I thought I would also indulge you in a neat little recording tool. The little 15W fender pro junior can give you a really great tone. It's all tube with only a tone knob, but can give a great tone and grind! Very clear and pleasing to the ears.

Any other secrets out there?
  2. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    ill second that call on the fender pro junior. i've had mine for about a year and use it to record my electric mandolin. simply and effective. great tone for about 130 beans.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Fender Musicmaster bass amp. Good for recording bass, even better for guitar. 2 knobs, Tone and Volume.
  4. I've been keepin my eye peeled for one of those. Looks interesting. Does the open-back rob it of much ya think?
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, that's why it's a bit better for guitar. It's not really powerful enough for anything besides practice and recording, so the open back doesn't bother me. I've thought about trying to load it w/ a more efficient speaker to get more oomph out of it, but I just use it for practice right now. It sounds very warm w/ bass, and w/ guitar you can crank it and get a cool breakup w/out blowing your ears out.
  6. Somebody's told you a good one. They're nothing alike other than they're tube bass amps. The Traynor uses 6CA7 outputs and has the weird Traynor bass and treble expander preamp while the Ampeg SVT uses 6550's and has a completely different preamp.

They sound NOTHING alike. The Traynor has a brash midrange and lots of bottom but not much low mid growl. The SVT's tone is pretty well documented.

The YBA-3A Super Custom Special is closer in tone to the SVT, though not close enough to be confused with it, and power too, (240 watts) and uses 6KG6A outputs. Both the YBA-3A and the SVT were introduced in 1969.
  7. I had a YBA-3 with an 8x10 cab back in 1971. When I was just gigging on the weekends it was outstanding. But when I took it on the road with a band called "H*lls Gate" it started blowing output tubes left and right. I ended up trading it back to the music store where I got it for a Sunn 200S and a Sunn Sorato cab which I still own today. I don't think it was much like the SVT though. It only had 4x6CA7 power tubes (believe me I know as I had to buy a bunch of them), but when it was working, it had enough balls to cut through a marching band.
  8. Anyone who was playing in Canada from late '60s through the early '70s has probably heard the Traynor / Ampeg story (or "urban myth" as I like to call it). It may have been the 8x10" cabinet that got spirited away, but who knows for certain, if at all.

Having played through many of these over the years and finally settling for a '71 YBA-3 that I purchased brand new, I can say with some certainty that the amp was not very well-behaved unless you had TWO cabinets (prolly impedance-related). I opted for the 8x10" and the folded horn 1x18". This amp still sounds great and has plenty of volume / headroom with both cabinets. It can do some tricks that the Ampeg can't do and vice versa. There's no question that an Ampeg with the same cabinet configuration has an additional 3db or perhaps 6db. Mine has been faithful for 32 years and is still running strong on the original tubes. No regrets.
  9. Possibly an urban myth eh?;)

I'm still going to keep my eyes open for one to try, because I have heard from more than one person that they sound great.:bassist: I love this little rockin' dude hear, have another:bassist:
  10. If you're seriously looking for a Traynor Custom Special head keep checking with Songbird music, especially the Ottawa branch. For some reason they get a LOT of Traynor stock here in Ottawa:

Currently they have an 8x10" cabinet, but the price suggests that it may not be in the best shape. Good hunting!

PS - here's one back @ you :bassist:

Update: FYI - I was just reading through the old manual and remembered that the extension speaker jack is wired in series. Most cabinets were 4 ohms meaning that two cabinets yield an 8 ohm load. The YBA-3 is more stable and actually has a measurably higher output with an 8 ohm load.
  11. There are a couple of them on ebay right now.