Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Securing pickups to pickup covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Wilson, Nov 13, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I recently got a set of J5 pickups from Carey Nordstrand in a trade.

As Carey doesn't sell his pups with covers at the moment, I bought some closed J covers from WD Music.

While the pickup fits in the cover fine, I want to make sure it doesn't come out of the cover while in the bass. While at the same time wanting to be able to remove the pickups from the cover if I want to.

I'm thinking double sided sticky tape?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nice idea, thanks!

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I've used just a couple small drops of hot glue before. That way you can get them out if you ever need to.
    By the way, I do include covers with all my pickups now. Sorry I didn't send you any David, I hadn't made the cover decision yet...

4. radiogoon

radiogoon

Sep 14, 2003
    Why not do what Fender does and put a piece of closed cell foam in the cavity and put the pup on top...I've been doing it for years with all kinds of pups and covers. a 35' roll will cost ya $3 at the hardware.

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Well, yeah, that's the way I usually do it on my intruments, but he asked how to secure the pickups to the covers. If they're just supported by foam in the covers they're not technically "secured" to the covers.
    That said, I think the foam works great! Just make sure you put the right amount in there for good support, but not so much that you'll strip the screw holes out.

6. radiogoon

radiogoon

Sep 14, 2003
    Touch of hot glue then. With the covers screwed in place and the foam, there is no real need to secure them to the pu itself...but if yer hellbent on them being secured to each other, a touch of hot glue works great. Drop in the pu and run a bead along the back...schweet.