1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Security

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I know we've talked about this here before, but I was curious how many of you guys bring your own security with you? We bring a gang of freaks with us everywhere we go. I went up tonight and checked out this bar we're playing at next Saturday. It's tiny and at 11 on a Saturday night apparently it is inhabited by about 10 drunk guys and 20 or so bikers, mostly listening to country and southern rock. We play RATM and **** like that. I think their regulars aren't going to dig us too much. The owner apparently wants to bring people into her bar and none of the bars in this little town ever have bands that play anything but redneck **** and none of them do great business. So she figures younger people might come if there is, um, more modern music.

I'm not worried about people turning up because we have lots of people, but I am slightly concerned about problems with the drunk bikers that normally hang out there. Not only do I not want my gear molested, but I want to avoid going to jail, if at all possible.

I'm not really posing any questions regarding this gig, but I was curious if any of you guys brought your own goons with you, especially when you play strange places.

2. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Security should be the responsibility of the bar owner. But if you are really concerned, don't bring goons - hire an off duty cop.

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Our audience comes with it's own goons.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I have a couple guys who I bring to every show, who get free food and drinks and are there simply to protect the gear. They're friends of ours. One used to own a bar and the other was a bouncer. The people that follow us from place to place have our backs too, but they are also kind of, well, let's just say some of them seem to really enjoy bar fights. Our ability to control those guys really doesn't exist. To date we haven't had many problems INSIDE any place.

I'm not really worried and I would never bring an off duty cop to one of our shows. Like I said, I was just curious if anyone else brought people with them specifically to watch over the band and the gear.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I've never even thought about doing something like that, anywhere- and i'm quite sure i've played the crappiest places on the planet. And i'm quite scrawny. Only time anything ever came close to violence was at a frat party with rich kids...
    female singer got grabbed, headstock of bass connected with side of offenders head, leaving bits of hair and flesh on the tuning keys while two drumsticks flew and pelted the guy from behind the kit. Only missed about 3 bars or so then we played on while friends collected the guy and carried him off.

6. good job. That's why i want a pointy reverse headstock :bassist:

7. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    No point bringing goons you can't control.

I was just kidding, we always have a few heavies we know well in the crowd but there are never any incidents other than an idiot or two who gets too drunk (very hard to do here, the bar is set pretty high) and gets too rowdy or start messing with the PA or gear at the foot of the stage, like pedals. We've kicked the mild crap out of one or two in the past, good for a laugh but hard to keep playing at the same time (I once put our lead guitarist's finger out of joint by stopping his full Keef guitar swing aimed at one particularly bothersome snugglemuffin's head).

Anyway, a hired ex-cop as mentioned before sounds like a solution. Goons not so much.

8. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I recommend that you bring a photographer to capture any gems, fights, confrontations, shirtless audience members, etc. Post 'em in the Humor section...

9. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    It is amazing how great a weapon a bass guitar is.

Security? I am licensed to carry concealed and I usually carry a Kel-tec 9mm pistol on me or at least close by.. I keep a police sap in my gig bag. I was once scoped out with a mild threat after a gig in the parking lot by 3 guys whom I believed wished to carry off my equipment. I just pulled up my shirt and showed them the pistol and they left quickly muttering something unintelligible.

In my long part-time career(?) as a musician I have rarely had a problem with the audience although I have had a few potentially violent confrontations with butthole band members. Always a guitar player!? Go figure.

10. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    It must really suck to have to carry around firearms to feel safe. What if those 3 goons had had guns too?
    Not worth it imho.

11. Security is absolutely the bar owner's responsibility.
    If you provide your own security people, you are liable for whatever they do. Having some sit by the board or at the stage while the band is on break to make sure nothing gets messed with is one thing, but get ready to get your ass sued off if things get out of hand and someone gets hurt.

Self defense is a different issue although the laws differ from state to state regarding when/where you can carry, even with a CCW permit. Here in Georgia, you can't carry in places that serve alcohol, but then you don't need a CCW permit to keep a gun in your vehicle because it's considered an extension of your home. Maybe it's because with all the mobile homes down here.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Missouri is a RTC state. Sometimes I carry. Like when I have to go into the city at night by myself or something. NEVER on stage or in a situation where it is likely I will be getting into a fight. Pulling a gun in a fight is really not a very good idea is it? I don't mind a good fistfight, but I'd prefer it doesn't involve prison time, death or damage to my gear.

So bringing a couple of ex-bouncers (who are well versed in what you can and cannot legally do in a bar) to protect your gear seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That's not to say that if some idiot pulled a gun on one of us at a gig, that several other people around us wouldn't pull them too. ;)

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Here in Missouri you can carry in a bar. Also, as I pointed out, the guys I bring for security are ex-bouncers. No one will be getting sued. ;)

14. Carrying a gun for protection isn't really that different from having a spare tire in your car in case of a flat. You hope you don't need it, and depending on the circumstances you may still choose not to use it, but better to have and not need than to need and not have...

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I agree. I am very happy I live in a RTC state and like I said, I carry sometimes. I think carrying at a gig isn't for me though. That doesn't mean that I don't know for a fact some of my friends are carrying.

16. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I'm not buying that.
    I've never needed one in 41 years (other than hunting)
    and i've been to some of the crappiest places on the planet.
    Not having the means to escalate a situation and using my head has always worked for me, but to each his own.
    I like the Einstein quote: "you cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war".

17. i agree

having a weapon, whatever it may be, gives you a sense of confidence and that could tip the balance from defensive to overly confident offensive and when the **** is on the edge you don't want that.

18. It is never ever a good idea to bring a gun into a bar. unless you are a uniformed cop.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We used to have a little hardass ex marine that would be our semi official security. He was actually pretty handy for getting obnoxious chicks off stage while we were playing, and generally keeping an eye on things. He would usually talk to bar management before we started playing and explain his position. It was usually cool with management. He never got into a scrap inside the bar, and for a fairly little guy (Maybe 5'8 130lbs) he was very good at walking obnoxious drunks outside and letting the bar security take over from there.

Unfortunately, he was involved in a really insane trailer park love triangle that resulted in him getting stabbed three times by an irate father......... He's OK, but the impending divorce has strapped him of most any cash, and a little bit of his will. He's showed up a handful of times since the incident.

20. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    ^ Crikey, sounds a bit painful :eek:

In the clubs and more popular pubs I've played they have security staff, the smaller out-of-the way places not so much so you keep an eye on things.

Anyways, if it all kicks off you know what they say - Women, Children and Rhythm Section first! :)