1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Security

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bass rocks

bass rocks

Nov 15, 2010
    what is ratm

2. Define security. If you are relying on your buddies to show up, get drunk and watch your back, you are asking for trouble.

To be honest, I think a lot of problems are cause by how the band presents itself and interracts with the venue employees and the audience, before, during and after the show. I have been gigging for 33 years and have played everything from small clubs to large outdoor venues. I have played over 3,000 shows and only had a problem twice. Both times by obnoxious drunks. Neither time got out of control. I was able to take of one situation myself and the other time, a very large biker who liked the band took care of it in a threatening but non physical manner.

3. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I have a carry permit, but my sidearm never leaves its spot from the bedside. I wouldn't play anywhere I felt I needed a firearm, or bodyguards. Things got a little sketchy at the dive I was playing last night, drunk chicks hit the dancefloor with a beach ball during our break. I stood guard on stage and redirected the ball when necessary.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Things got a little sketchy when your band almost got hit by a beach ball? That is one of the funniest gig stories I have heard in a long time.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The day I have to worry about this stuff regularly is the day I call it quits playing out.

6. Beach ball among the gear = drunks stumbling through the gear to get the ball...:scowl:

7. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Well, it was a rather LARGE beach ball......

8. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Rage Against The Machine

9. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    ratbb = Rage Against The Beach Ball

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    We play a lot of crapholes. It's nothing new. We aren't relying on any "Drunk buddies" for anything either. As I said before, we have a couple ex-bouncers, that always get along well with the staff and know exactly what they can and can't do. They mainly make sure the gear is safe and no one gets near the stage. We haven't had any problems other than the occasional drunk, but when we are playing, I want us to worry about playing not some drunk idiot trying to get up on stage. When we go to break I like knowing our stuff is safe too.

11. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    Heck, if I have buddies who want to come along and help watch the gear and stuff during a gig, why not? If they just happen to be ex-bouncers who could really deal with a volatile situation, even better. I couldn't see this becoming a paid position though. If I was touring some kind of scenes that I thought were that sketchy, I probably wouldn't do it. Not that I have much experience playing dangerous places. Sometimes there are fights at bars, like a couple of nights ago, but that is how it goes. I agree and think it is the bars responsibility to deal with that stuff. It would suck to have equipment damaged, though, if it came to that.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    They aren't paid positions. These are my homies. I usually hook them up with dinner and some drinks though.

I really don't mind playing rough places. Normally they are places where the music we play goes over well. This bar is more of a " Hey, play some Skynerd" place. The money's right though and we will be coming with a built in audience, so........

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As for providing your own security, didn't Mick and the boys try that once out in Cali? As I recall, that one didn't end well for anyone involved.

Speaking strictly from a personal POV, I think you are giving your music way too much credit to think what you play will incite a bunch of bikers to violence, or even threats thereof.

Walking in with an obvious f/u attitude however, is an almost dead nuts assurance of trouble before the night is over. Fronting like a badazz might work in fern bars and those all ages places where posing as some hardcore butt kicker is all the rage, but all that will net you in a sho-nuff blood bucket gun and knife club is a soundly whipped hind end.

I've played in plenty of biker bars, clubhouses, runs, etc, over the years, and done everything from hardcore country to blues to loudazz guitar driven r&r and the ONLY time I've ever seen any trouble was when our drummer thought because some patch holder's drunk old lady was dry humping him on breaks it was an invitation for more. In typical fashion, he/we were given fair warning to just play music and keep our sausage skinners to ourselves if we wanted to get paid and out of there with all the teeth we came in with. Once we assured them we got the message and there would be no repeats, we all went back to having fun.

If a bad boy persona is part of ya'lls act, I'd say you need to take Johnny Winter's advice to heart. "Carry a gun in one boot, a knife in the other boot and ALWAYS play a solid body guitar."

To that I would add, shop for a better than average dental insurance policy.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You're reading an awful lot into my post there slick.

How the **** does, "We play Rage, in a bar that is full of bikers that want to hear Skynerd" equate to me "Thinking an awful lot of my music.

Where did I say anything about an F U attitude? If you're just trying to be a prick, Kiss my ***, if you have something serious to contribute to the thread, PAY ATTENTION.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'll repeat this AGAIN, for the people that are obviously jumping in either without reading or at least without paying attention. The guys we bring are professional, ex bouncers who know all the rules and NO ONE is acting like a bad ass. Furthermore, as I already stated, I am not concerned or expecting any trouble. Further, furthermore, we do this all the time and have NEVER had any trouble.

I simply asked if anyone else did it. I don't need lectures from guys who " Have played a million biker bars" ( like the rest of us haven't) :rolleyes:

16. way to go off the deep end. Enjoy your bar fight...

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Learn to read. ;)

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We never bring security. We're a surf band and there is no problem with our music or fans. If we anticipated a problem, we'd either skip the gig or make sure that the host was providing appropriate security.

I would never carry a firearm in a situation like this. Why? All you can do with it is shoot someone - then you get to go to jail for assault with a deadly weapon, unless you have witnesses who will testify that you were in immediate danger of losing your life.

Regardless of what you say about your fans, if you travel with a crowd that likes to fight, I'd say you're bringing your own problems with you. Just my opinion, which you will disregard.

The best solution I can think of is to talk with the owner and get some off-duty cops there. If he's trying to change the crowd there, he's going to have to put in extra effort to make it happen. And those off-duty cops should be just as ready to shut your friends and followers down as they are to shut down the bikers.

19. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    Sounds like a win-win situation to me. Personally i'm not the type to attract trouble, but having crew around is always preferable.

20. I don't think any of the 3 goons would have risked getting drawn upon and fired at first. Armed thugs aren't looking to get in a gunfight and likely get killed, they are looking for unarmed prey to rob.

The way this ended (legal firearm owner shows firearm, and thug think better of it and leave) is how the vast majority of such encounters between criminals and legal gun owners ends.