1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SED 6550C Replacement Set In A SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Moulton, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Bob Moulton

Bob Moulton Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Does anyone have any experience with these tubes? I have heard good things about them through the Tube Depot. I currently have Sovtek WE's and I am not impressed.

2. I have experience with them. Mostly good. Some bad. Tone is pretty good but sorta wish I had my 30 year old Tung-Sols back sometimes.

PBG could shed better light than me. He has experience with a broader array of brands.

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have these in one of my DB728's and had them in my SVT CL. I like them better than the Sovteks as they seem a bit cleaner and more powerful.

JR

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I have 'em in my SVT-II non pro... I'd agree with JGR's post. A little more clean headroom, a little tighter bottom. I don't think they sound as nice when they start breaking up though. Still great for a clean sound.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

6. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Check out the Sovtek KT88, much better value than the SED tubes. ANd they sound alot better than the Sovtek 6550s.