1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

See the ULTIMATE micro-combo Rig of Doom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spiketronic, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Spiketronic

Spiketronic

Dec 18, 2003
    San Francisco
    Check it out! I sent my EA Micro 300 to Don Oatman at Low Down Sound and told him to make it into the lightest, smallest, 12" combo he could. It's 14x14x14 and 28lbs. The head slides in and out and there is space for the power and speakon cables. The premium neo speaker has a dial for the high range. There is also a spring loaded handle on the bottom that doubles as a tilt back.

How does it sound? Well it can't hang with my SWR 350 thru my Aggie GS 112 for low end creaminess, but neither can my 61 year old back! I gig and rehearse all over the Bay Area and I double, both on acoustic upright/electric fretless in a jazz combo and stratocaster/Zon 4 in a tot rock band. This puppy is clean, loud and clear and I can just about eq most of the boxiness out of it. Hey, whaddaya want for a 14" cube you can lift up with one finger?!

I'm saying goodbye to the Boss line selector into the trusty old GK MB 150 (which has been slamming around in my trunk for 5 years without missing a beat).

Don dug this thing so much I think he put it up on his website
    in case any of you musical sistren and brethren want one. The whole enchilada only set me back about $1200 for the amp plus Don's work. Chump change for the Holy Grail. Until I can dream up something smaller, lighter and sweeter.

Pix are at:

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/spiketronic/

Spiketronic

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very nice. 28lbs.. Hmmmm....

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    That's the coolest rig I've seen in a long time! Don does great work.
    Congrats!

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    pretty much copied the Mesa Walkabout concept, but without the passive radiator, horn and variable crossover. The Mesa weighs a bit more too, but has a snap-on/off wheel thing to compensate for that.

nice little rig though

enjoy!

5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    that is just the coolest thing in the world.

im thinkin 2x8, tweeter, tweed cover. stylin!

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Purdy. It gives me DIY ideas.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Very cool man, that thing is tiny!