See ya later Spence

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As some of you have read my past posts on my dog, she has recently been diagnosed with inoperable cancer, and unfortunately, things have gotten much worse in a very short time. 5 days ago she seemed to be feeling great, but since then, things have gotten really bad. I was having to carry her outside to go potty, which I didn't mind doing, but now she can no longer even hold herself up to do so, she is more or less 80% paralyzed. She even turns down mcdonalds now, no appetite, but she will drink if I hold the bowl under her so she can reach it without moving.

I need to make a call to the vet today, and make arrangements to have this taken care of. I know a lot of people don't understand the relationship people have with their pets, but they very much so become your family.

She is the best friend I have ever had, and the best dog ever. This is probably the worst I have felt about anything in my life, I cannot imagine even the possibility of feeling any more down. Sure as hell going to miss her, it feels like she is already gone.

2. Tim,

I'm am really sorry to hear this bad news, no matter how much one thinks they are prepared for a loss, it still hurts.......bad.

My deepest sympathies to you!

3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    My heart goes out to you, Tim. It has only been about 3 months since my own dog, Rusty, a little dachsund passed away at 11 yrs old.

As I'm typing this there is a new little dachsund named Dusty chewing at my socks and demanding that I scratch his belly. A miniature replica of Rusty.

He's not Rusty. He never will be, but he makes a broken heart more bearable.

Please, my friend, don't postpone the inevitable. If your buddy is ready to go, help him to go with love, grace and dignity.

I'm so sorry for you but I'm so glad that your friend wont have to suffer much more.

When the hurt wears off a bit, maybe a new puppy will help. It has helped me.

Harrell S.
  4. Sorry to hear that. This has not been an easy time for you, and it ain't gonna get any easier for a while.

My thoughts are with you and your family...:(
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tim, I'm so sorry. We've been through the same lately, and will be again. Time does help heal some of the pain...
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I had to do something like this years ago, and everytime someone else has to, my heart goes out to them. I'm sorry for you having to go through this.
  8. Oh man, I know exactly how you feel. I had a golden retriever that looks exactly like that dog. We'd had her since i was 2 years old. We were going to put her down about 3 years ago, but the night before were were going to do so, she passed away at the top of the stairs.

You'll feel better with time, and you'll be looking back on the good memories, not the bad. Just hang in there.
  9. Really sorry to hear Tim, she's a great lookin' dog. :(

My girl has two retrievers, one just like yours and a white-retriever.

Fudge, shes the coolest! They're not my family, but I'll miss those dogs, when I no longer get to see em! :meh:

all the best, Tim
  10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    First, thanks so much for the kind words. I do have another dog as well, and plan to go get a dog at a recue or shelter of some kind after things chill out a bit. I'd love to get another retriever, but fear I would feel like I had tried to replace Spence.

Man, things keep piling up!!!!!!!!! Not 5 minutes after I made this message and signed off, I got a call from my fiancee's work. They said she has blacked out, and was having trouble breathing, and an ambulance was on it's way. When I got there she wasn't feeling well at all, her heart rate, temperate, and blood pressure were way down. They ran a bunch of tests, and after a while she started feeling better, and her sings were returning to normal. All the tests came back okay, and she is instructed to go see her family doctor this week. It is in my opinion, that she had some type of anxiety attack, or other stress related problem. We're going through a lot here at home, and neither one of us are doing real well with it. We will see when she goes to the doc this week.

What's next? MF going to tell me that my bongo really isn't in stock?

It is near 1pm, and I still haven't been to bed yet, which is where I am heading now.

This sucks!
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Oh, there was one good thing, when we came home, although Spence hasn't moved in quite a while, she was beating her tail pretty good when she saw us come in. You'd never believe how a tiny gesture like that can make your day.
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :( :( :bawl:

sorry to hear that.
  13. Great advice there.

Tim, I'm very sorry to hear about Spence. Only someone who has lived with a pet knows how they can burrow into your heart.

Do what you must for your friend.

You will feel better.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear about your dog Spence. If it's any consolation, you've at least given a good life and home to a dog who could've fared much worse in a "not-so-nice" world.

He looks like a great dog. I'll bet he is.
  15. I'm very sorry to hear about that Tim. My animals are a big part of my life. Whenever we go on vacation and leave them here I always call the person taking care of them every other day to see how their doing. I've lost 3 cats and 2 dogs in my lifetime and it's very heart shattering and is a tough thing to go through. I hate going a day without seeing my animals and to hear about your dog just makes my heart drop. Very sorry to hear about this Tim and I hope you get through it all right. My best wishes to you and Spence.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    man....that just sucks....i remember reading the first time you posted about her....i was hoping it was gonna work out.

when we put our silky terrier to sleep, i saved his hangs above the work bench in my garage....his name was Spencer. :)

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my condolences, tim. spence looks like a beautiful, great pal. :(

my wife and i had to put her cat ellenor to sleep a little while back - this cat was with her for over 16 years - and it still chokes my wife up sometimes. it's really hard saying goodbye.
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...I can't think of anything to say, I've been there myself, and will again one day soon, and I dread it.

You gotta PM.
  19. Tim, I know exactly how you feel. Just a few moments ago, I got off the phone with my parents. They called to tell me that my cat back home (Buster) was put to sleep today. He apparently got hit by a car this morning, and my mom found him while leaving for work. :(
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    sorry to hear it Tim. Your a good friend to your dog for taking care of her like you are. :(