1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seeing the Cliff Burton Ric pics makes me wonder...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Bassincus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Have you ever noticed that some famous bassists associated with Rics used modded basses?
    Some examples off the top of my head:

Cliff Burton - Mudbucker & J pups
    Lemmy - T-bird neck pup
    Geddy Lee - Badass bridge
    Roger Glover - 2 J pups in neck position
    Mike Mills - G&L bridge

Any others?

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Mike Mills and Geddy Lee knew a flawed bridge design when they saw one ;)

As for the ones who changed pickups, I can't say. The Ric sound isn't for everyone. And mods like that were pretty common on most basses back then, not just Rics.

3. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

i remember michael anthony's modded ric during the 1984 VH tour. think the bass was also in their 'panama' video. off the top of my head, i remember the striped black & white paint and emg's. can't remember if the bridge was swapped out or not. :meh:

4. Joey DiMaio of Manowar plays a modified Rick. The saddles are way closer to each other than the string slots on the bridge.
    Besides, he is known to tune his bass an octave higher. Not double course 8 strings, just 4 (AKA piccolo bass)

UPD. just found a solo of his, he has a whammy bar installed too

5. DeMaio never tuned his bass differently except for Black Arrows witch was a modified Gibson EB-3. He also never had a whammy bar on his Rickenbacker. The bass witch does is The Demon built by John Dawk Stillwell. And yes he does use 8 string basses. His first was a Veillette Citron. Now he uses another custom made 8 string bass by Dawk. The Demon series looks like a Rickenbacker but with a longer upper horn and a few other differences.

6. I don't question him using double course 8s. What I said was, he used to play a 4 string 'piccolo'-tuned bass. It's a well-known fact and (but not 'because') it is mentioned in wikipedia

I saw a whammy bar on his solo in Germany, 2002. The bass did look both like a Rick and the bass you have pictured, plain black, TWO pick ups, two jacks. It also had the same kind of custom inlays that is in your pic (I saw them elsewhere too, probably in the early videos, so I never questioned it to be a Ric).
    So you are maybe right.

The bass with a modified bridge could have been a non-Ric, but it looked pretty much like it, I couldn/t tell the difference. I can tell the bridge slots were initially intended for wider string spacing. The saddles were closer though, so the strings were going in angles

7. this a demon bass?

8. Sorry, misread you about the 8 string part. However his only Piccolo tuned bass was his Gibson EB-3. Dawk confirmed that he never has tuned up his Rickenbacker.
    Here's the Gibson.

Yes he has different models of the Demon, Standard,Solo and 8 string. The one in his solo videos is the Baby Demon, the one with the whammy. I asked Dawk if he tuned up but he says his tone is all in the pickups,head,cabinets,signal and that his basses are wired stereo.
    I'II link some pictures of his Rickenbacker and Demon.
    [​IMG]
    His heavy modded Ricky. New fret board as he broke off the neck a few times.
    [​IMG]
    And his main Demon

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    joey3.

foto_joey.

10. Always wondered why Lemmy swapped the neck pickups, as he only ever uses the treble pickup.:confused:

Also, why he has three pickups on his signature model...

11. I know he use to put a Thunderbird pickup in the neck. I imagine he must have used it

12. Despite the fact that many people consider Rics perdect and think its a sin to mod them (some even include the bridge in that), they do lend themselves to mods pretty well. I personally am a purist with my expensive basses, IE if I wanted something different for the money I could have gotten that, but if you have loads of money or just don't care they can be modded to great effect. Look as some of Ric5's stuff. Mine is still bone stock and will remain so until the bridge finally ticks me off enough to get an aftermarket, but if I had another one and silly amounts of money I'd probably do some experimenting. I've always thought a mudbucker or darkstar in the neck position would be kind of neat.

13. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Mike Hindert from the Bravery has a p-bass p/u in the neck of his.

14. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Robert Trujillo plays a Rick that looks to have had some work done to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Are those EMGs active that he put in that Ric? I really wonder what that bass sounds like now.

16. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Chris squire's Ric has smaller body.

17. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    ...this is a bass solo?:confused:

18. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

People used to be much less precious about their instruments as far as mods go. It not that unusual in the 70's and 80's for people to have few qualms about hacking into their instruments if they thought it would make them play better or sound better. And of course, I think it was in the 70's (might be wrong) that aftermarket pickups really got going, and with them, a sort of assumption that stock pickups were inherently bad (not by everyone of course, but by some).

19. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Kind of I guess.

I just don't get the "lets make the bass sound just like a guitar" thing.

20. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yeah... neither do I. I mean, Cliff played distorted bass solos, too, but the sound was massive and, well, bassy. More epic and gargantuan than a guitar sounds.