1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeing way less Lakland 55-01's and many 55-02's used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stflbn, May 11, 2010.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Two ways to look at this in my opinion...

More people buying 55-02's than 55-01's anymore, hence more showing up on the used market.

Or, are owners of 55-02's are less satisfied with the basses than 55-01 owners who are hanging on to them?

I've just been noticing lately that there's way more 55-02's up for sale than 55-01's. Lately it's seemed like 5:1 or even more.

Thoughts?

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Probably #1 -- more 55-02s being bought, and thus sold. That they're being sold eosn't mean people don't like them. In my experience, Lakland players hang on to their basses and buy more than one. Maybe the 5502 players have moved up to USA-made 55-94s. That's what I did.

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I liked my 55-01 better than the 44-02 I replaced it with.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've always been drawn to the tone of the 55-01's soapbars. I'm also a musicman fan, so enjoy the J/MM tone of the 55-02 or 55-94, but when comparing sound clips the dual soapbars just match where my ears are more 'lately'.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I also liked the 55-01 better than the 55-02 I had! Those are nice basses but they're not for everyone!

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Were there ever MIA 55-01 style basses or were the soapbar 55-01's always Tributes?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here. The 02 sounded too sterile to me, and I had to mess around with to get a warmer tone. The 01's tone was like a blanket.

8. The 55-01s are able to be modd'ed quite easily, as Nordstrand pickups are good fits, so I would think that if a buyer of a 55-01 wasn't happy with it stock they would be able to mod it up to suit them, that could be a reason

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    My guess is that more more 55-02's were sold so it makes sense that more could end up in the resale market.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

And I plan to do just that to mine. The stock Barts suck! I need pups that don't add compression (thinning out my sound) the minute I start slapping!

11. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I've owned a 55-01, 44-02,Glaub and DJ, only the 55-01 remains. Like my MIM 70s Jazz the 55-01 is light and the neck feels right. I can get what I want to tone wise out of it so it stays around.

12. sitonmybass

sitonmybass Guest

Having owned both, I preferred the sound of the 55-01 model with the rosewood fretboard.
    I have a brand new black/rosewood 55-01 on the way. I've had several Lakland 55-01 models and 55-02 models over the years but ended up selling them. I missed having a 55-01 because it's my favorite of the two.

My wife is visiting family in Orlando today so she is going to pick it up for me from Bass Central and bring it home to me here in the Tampa Bay area. :hyper: