Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeing your bass in a new light

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I was sitting down watching some tv and polishing my bass and cleaning it. Now sometimes I wish I had better basses or equipment and I lose sight of the beauty of the ones I already have. After I was done cleaning I looked it over and just fell in love again. Has this ever happened to anyone else or did I start drinking too early?
    :smug:

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think of all the big boutique bass options out there and think "Man, I should buy one" then I sit down and clean my old BC Rich and that pearlescent white finish just shines. Yea, I love that bass. It may not get any respect, it doesn't have fancy onboard EQ's or electronics, body binding or inlays but you know what, its mine :D Me and my BC will never part.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Heck yeah. My Squier sat for the longest time, and recently, I put some new strings on it and polished it up. I did fall in love again. Also, my jazz bass has been neglected since I brought out the P-bass, so I dropped in sone new pickups, new strings, and a polish job, and my jaw dropped. I didn't know my jazz could be that kind of tone monster, and look so amazing to boot.

4. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    YEAH!!! This thread is for real. I just had this experience with my battered Stingray... forget about gear lust, get the most from what you have - high-end gear is sweet, but it will never make the music for you...

5. Brilliant. You should use that in your sig.

6. This bass has survived longer than any others I've owned. There's still something right about the way it feels, the way it sounds, the way it catches my eye.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3862

BTW - Just how early did you start drinking?

:confused: :D

(just had a beer meself. so good I had one thrice thus far.)

7. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    Yo Bimplizkit!!!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Folks. I have the same experiences with my high-end gear. Only deeper and more meaningful.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ... buncha simpering, sentimental knuckleheads ...

10. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    Personally, I don't doubt that you have the same experiences. "Deeper and more meaningful" however, starts to sound a little pretentious...

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think he was making a joke, ovalsonic.

I've had that with my fretless time and time again. Great bass!

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    [/QUOTE]BTW - Just how early did you start drinking?

:confused: :D

(just had a beer meself. so good I had one thrice thus far.)[/QUOTE]

Um at about 6:30 the game just started and I thought Id crack a few, I had a sixer of Dos Equis. Im from Boston so I should probably drink a bud or guiness during a sox game but DE is real good.
    BTW Im 20, dont tell anyone!

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am still smitten with my MIA 2002P-Bass. I just like the looks of it. It's a pretty common classic. 3-tone burst w/tortise-shell and rose-wood fingerboard & the chrome covers.

It was the exact instrument I wanted, so I didn't skimp. Cost-wise it didn't clean me out either. Just gotta keep rehearsing, practicing, and gigging. The rig could use a little more juice.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Crap! They're on to me!

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Cheese it, the feds!