Seek help w/ new repertoire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ishamdm, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Ishamdm

Jun 22, 2000
    After a four-year hiatus from full time gigging, I’ve just been invited back to the trenches for some NYC club dates. I’d like to suggest some material for the group and could use some input.

The proposed lineup consists of two female vocals, electric bass, drums and piano (maybe doubling on synth). R&B/ Gospel, jazz standards and show tunes (of the non-schlock variety, I hope) are possible. Quite a change from my previous gig (male vocals, guitars ranging from Pearls Jam, Chains, NIN to Seal, Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, Dead or Alive…) Can you see why I’m at a loss? I didn't realize how guitar dependent I was until now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ishamdm

Jun 22, 2000

This is a brand new group 'coming together to work in nightclubs' as you hoped.(all members I’ve played with before). I have not received a play list yet, but it won’t be ‘top 40’ so don’t be put off by the ‘club date’ terminology (I’d run screaming from that.) We intend entertain by offering intelligent selection and artistic interpretation of the material (It’s always worked best in the past).

Let’s say Armstrong – Ella F. ‘You Can’t Take That Away From Me’ into Prince’s ‘Why Don’t you Call Me Anymore?’ (A she-version, of course), Don’t Talk to Strangers…bring an Old Rufus tune (or anything else) down to an intimate p/b/drums level, and so on.

Any suggestions based on that would be great.