Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seek info on epiphone upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jpl, Apr 6, 2002.

1. jpl

jpl

Jan 19, 2002
    Maine
    The serial # is 732. It has a natural finish that is amber now, laminated curley and birds eye maple; a rock maple tailpiece, the original fingerboard was rosewood. The scroll plates and tuning keys are brass engraved with maple leafs and the words Epiphone Inc New York Model B. I would like to know the year it was made. Any other history on this bass, or where to go to find info would be appreciated. size is 3/4

2. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    I also have an old Epiphone model B that's in great shape. I can't find the serial No. maybe you can help on that. Your description matches mine exactly. Where is the serial No. located?

3. jpl

jpl

Jan 19, 2002
    Maine
    Look up to the bottom of the scroll at the level of the nut and below the E string tuning key. There is a number stamped into the wood under the lip where the scroll begins. jpl

4. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    Thanks jpl, I found it. It reads 1429.

5. Don P

Don P

Jun 2, 2001
    If what Gibson told me was true. it means the 142nd bass in (that model) their ninth year of production. The number on mine is at the tailblock. I don't however recall just what years Gibson (buy and close all competition) made Epi Bass. I think it was something like 54 to 64. Try your luck with the front office folks. I've gotten considerable information on several basses through them.