1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

seeking a bit of dirt for my clean tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 12, 2007.

1. so for a while I've been using an OD pedal (ODB-3) and to say the least, while the tone has made things a bit grating on my ears, it's filled the absence of a guitarist for a long time. now I'm sort of hoping to go for a cleaner tone that allows more clarity, but i believe my problem is amidst the super clean highs, i need some dirt that the boss pedal can't apply without unnecessary noise. think i could potentially overdrive my preampa bit? i'm using a tnt-130. When I think of my grind tone i'm probably somewhere in the ballpark of http://www.myspace.com/agoraphobicnb
    on the track "unwelcome remarks".

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check over in the Effects forum for this, we have this discussion almost every day. Some of the top suggestions typically are: Sansamp, Fulltone Bass Driver, various tube OD units like the EHX English Muff'n, and -most importantly- biamping, or using a blender-loop to mix the overdriven tone with your clean signal.

3. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Mmm, grind.. :bassist:

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    have you looked into like a Vox pedal...one with real tubes in it for the overdrive? Or a tube pre-amp with a gain channel?

5. I suggest the sansamp RBI :)

but check out the effects forum--there are tons of overdrives and gritmakers for all tastes :)

6. i was looking for something less pedal oriented......like maybe just using my presence control too much on my amp (lol, it's a bit powerful) . I don't know......right now it's a pretty aggressive clean tone. as far as similar bands that only do hat, i'd just suggest turning it up till the vocals are drowned out. lol that or don't listen to grind, the vox come with the territory

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    So you're looking for the "dirtiest" setting with your existing rig? Or you're looking for a rackmount dirt unit?

8. existing rig

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, then yeah, the only thing you can do is turn everything up to 11 and play really hard.