1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seeking a compatible neck for a friends 1993 Jazz Bass Plus 5.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by George Fender, Jun 20, 2015.

1. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    image. The headstock on this bass is split at the G string tuner. I have made tiny little pieces to compensate for intonation on altered tuning 12 string acoustic guitars, but never attempted to fix a bass headstock. Fender doesn't make these necks anymore. Warmoth won't. I've looked on eBay and found no identical necks, but a couple of G&L blanks that appear to have the same dimensions. Any suggestions?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    That should a very simple repair job. It can probably be glued back together without any real harm to the finish or the decals. Why replace the whole neck, if you like everything else about it?

If you really want a new neck, my friend Keith Horne could make you a custom neck as an exact match. It would be around $400.

3. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    Hey, thanks. This is my first post on here. I joined just to do it. I'm thinking glue and dowel pins of some sort. I don't have a drill press or vice for neat work, plus it just looks scary. I'm waiting to hear back from the local repairman who I also sent pics to. This is a friends bass. We'll prolly share it once it's fixed. I'm a 20 fret guy. I am looking for a Modern Player Jazz Bass V for backup and tunedown to go with the white one I use. That's the bass I just can't get enough of.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No to the dowels! Not only are they unnecessary, they can cause further problems sine they will be cross-grained to the headstock. Just glue and clamp it. The trick is in the clamping - you will need to fashion some shaped cauls since the clamping surfaces are not parallel. If you are not up to it, find someone local to do it. But if they suggest adding some dowels, run away.

5. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    You know, I remember a high school shop teacher saying glue joints are often stronger than the actual wood itself. Maybe I can do this meeself. The pins were my dumbass idea. Thanks for preventing that from happening. I've resisted joining this forum for years. Now I'm concerned that I have supplied myself with a new addiction. I had to quit Facebook for the same reason. I confess I laughed myself silly yesterday at some of the things I read on here...
    Then again I wasn't laughing at all reading the endangered woods/traveling across national borders thread.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just remember, gluing something like this is pretty straightforward to do successfully the first time but an absolute trainwreck to do over.

it might be worth it to find a pro.

Stealth Fighter and Clark Dark like this.
  7. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    This is an experiment for keeping it together after glue but before the real clamping. I don't believe its enough pressure to do good clamping, though with parallel force it only moves about 1/16". It doesn't move at all when I squeese it sideways.

Attached Files:

• 088.JPG
      088.JPG
      File size:
      504.9 KB
      Views:
    Clark Dark likes this.
  8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you're gonna try this yourself, you need to experiment with the actual clamps (and no glue), to find a way to hold the two halves together with real pressure while not allowing any sliding.

the good news is regular titebond is fine for this, the joint won't be getting continuous pulling stress like a neck-body joint or a headstock broken off the end of the neck.

that gives you a little working time to get everything clamped up right; just remember, do it wrong and you have a basket case on your hands.

9. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    image. image. image. image. image. image. Well, I did it. This thing ruled our rehearsal tonite. I'm rethinking my 20 fret oath. I did use the cable ties and several clamps. I'll post pics...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  10. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    I'll work on the finish later. Sorry about double posting of the pics.

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it'll probably be fine, but you weren't supposed to use titebond III, that's for building decks and stuff. regular titebond is what you use for indoor woodworking.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I love + series. So elegant and refined, probably my favorite Fenders.

13. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    Aw, heck, on the Titebond. I chose it because it claimed to have a longer set up time and I figured a rookie like me would need that. I remember someone posting regular was all that was needed. Blast it. I am liking this bass so much that the "owner" may never see it again except seeing me playing it. It's not neck heavy at all like I thought it would be. If I see another one of these I'll HAVE to scoop it up. I have to admit my Modern Player Jazz V, which I dearly love, is a toy compared to this. It IS elegant and refined. I used passive mode and my ZOOM last night. If I never use more of the preamp in it, it is enough for me. I'm all squishy inside just thinking about it.

14. Jazz Ad

Long horn and small head, it has all reasons to be less head heavy than a regular Jazz.

15. George Fender

George Fender

Jun 20, 2015
    Roanoke Va
    I'm lovin it and keepin it. Now I want another.

16. Jazz Ad

The P+ is good too.

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I got mine (a four) new in the early 90's and it ain't going anywhere.