Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seeking a passive P pup with a Hi-Fi / non-vintage sound.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bino, Jun 11, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I have a P-bass clone that I would like to mess around with. I mostly gravitate towards vintage sounding basses, but thought I would try something different. Any suggestions? Looking for anything wildly different than the typical Fralin/Fender RI kind of thing. The bass is one of those nineties Peavey Fury's, solid poplar w/ maple neck (not a bad bass for $90).

2. I would probably go with EMG or Bartolini, a Dimarzio could also do the trick as these all have ceramic magnets.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

First thing that came to my mind was Bart - but you'll probably get the Bart tone with it, which some people don't like.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Do Barts give you that compressed tone heard on a lot of modern recordings? I'm just not familiar with them.

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    indeed.

I got a Bartolini 8S in my P-bass, I love every note of it.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    EMG is about as non-traditional as you can get. It's closest to a hifi sound I can think of.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Barts don't sound compressed to me, just clear. I can't put a Bart tone into words but it's usually lost in the mix live anyway. In general, Barts are the most "refined" sounding pups (passive or active) I've heard from a single manufacturer. The 8s will get you generally what you described - and the Bart tone. I don't know of any other passive P pup off hand than would. But I haven't heard a set of EMG PHZ's either. If you're looking to pick up a set of used pups, I've never seen a set of PHZ's for sale. Barts tend to show up on a regular basis.